Sign in to follow this  

fuel line plumbing issues

Just when everything was going so well. Done the service, oil change, filter, valves, air filter etc only to find seem to have got the fuel lines wrong. I have plugged in the T-shaped line to the fuel tank on left and fuel tap on right then put all the other line down through frame for breathing. Bike starts ok but wierd things are going on. If I open valve on left hand side of tank fuel starts pouring out of the clear reddish tube. There is also fuel permanently coming out of the narrow black pipe which exits left hand side of carb near the coke mechanism. Checked it all and cannot see what I have done wrong. HELP please!

You hav'nt said which model you have! but sounds like you have connected the wrong pipe to the tank!

If you have a Mikuni carb

The single black pipe near the choke is the the fuel inlet and should be connected to the tank,

The pipe from the bottom of the carb is the overflow,

The 4 pink pipes from the tee's on left & right sides are all breathers and should be left open :thumbsup:

Hi there

Sorry, its a 1999 TE610.

It's wierd because there is only 2 pipes that fit the tank (I plugged them both when stripping them down.

I have double checked and I can't see anywhere else these pipes go.....Aaaargh I knew I should have taken pics!!!

I used to have a 410 (left kicker) fuel taps on each side of tank.

Pipe from the right hand side tap joined to the main tap on the left!

Then a pipe attached to the (Delorto) carb, it was like a banjo fitting that housed the fuel filter.

Did this make any sence:ride:

Hi there

That kinda makes sense but from what i can see mine is just pipe with a T junction. One end goes to left tank nipple (with tap to allow fuel to flow to other tank) and the other end goes to the main fuel on/off tap. The 3rd end goes to carb.

That leaves pipes which I thought were all breathers but the thin one attached to outlet on carb near choke mech pours petrol even when I just turn the tap on to spread full across tanks.

Just done it again and it also comes out of another pipe which again I thought was a breather.

Now i'm really confused!!!

Hi there

My 1999 TE610E also had fuel draining out of the breather pipe next to the choke. The problem was the needle and seat, the needle did not seal intermittently, once I replaced the needle and seat the problem was solved. I suspect that when you removed the tank a piece of dirt got dislodged and is now lodged between the needle and seat. Other possibilities are; sticking floats, damaged float, float height or worn out needle and seat.

There is also a good chance that some fuel has drained into the engine. Remove the oil filler cap and smell if the is fuel in the engine.

Hope this help, let us know how you get on.

automotive world thats called a needle and seat..

motorcycle world,, fuel valve..