Sign in to follow this  

Re-jetting.

If you change the jet/s on the carb do you need to touch the needle too?

It all depends on where you need change.

Pilot= low end, (idle)

Needle position= mid throttle range

Main jet= full throttle

If you are too rich at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle then you need to drop the needle down (raise the clip) and of course raise the needle if it's lean. :thumbsup:

Forgive my ignorance. How do I know if it is running too rich or lean? I've been told that too lean will lead to overheating, is this so hot that its very obvious - in time to stop a seize?

The best way to tell is by doing a plug read.

Method :

With an old plug in the bike warm it up and ride it to a spot where you can open it up. When you get to that spot with old plug and fully warmed up bike pull over and slap a brand spanking new plug in it. Fire it up and open it up going threw the gears one time. When your reach the end of your last gear , pull in the clutch and hold the kill switch till the bike stops. Remove plug and read the color.

You can find color charts for reading the plug but what you want is a nice golden color , the color of a plain donut. Black and gooey = rich , white and spotty = lean.

You can always take a close up picture of the plug and post it here and we can help you read it.

Alittle too rich is always better then alittle too lean.

Here is a pic of my plug. I think it looks pretty good , whats your guys opinion ?

dsc00815di.jpg

Now the fun part , Ive done all the gordon mods and Im running a k&n with STOCK jetting , 132/45.

Here is a pic of my plug. I think it looks pretty good , whats your guys opinion ?

dsc00815di.jpg

Now the fun part , Ive done all the gordon mods and Im running a k&n with STOCK jetting , 132/45.

from what i can tell in the pic your plug is on the black side (rich), you want some more peachy colour and less black, no white. Now u just need to find out where it is running rich, pilot, needle or main

from what i can tell in the pic your plug is on the black side (rich), you want some more peachy colour and less black, no white. Now u just need to find out where it is running rich, pilot, needle or main

+1 on what he said :thumbsup: