Sign in to follow this  

2005 Crrf450r vs. 2002 Yz 250

I currently ride a 2005 crf450r, and i have it mildly set up for woods (skids, hand gaurds, nothing big). I ride 100% woods and single track. The problem with the 450 is it always overheats when it gets stuck, it always feels like a handful riding it, and its just too heavy and tires me out really fast.

My friend is selling his 2002 yz250, and ive been really thinking about buying it off of him. I keep hearing that its such a better woods bike, but im worried that its going to be the same deal as the 450. Ive never owned a two stroke, so i dont really know what to expect.

Im 5' 11'' and ive been riding for more than 10 yrs. Im also racing the local hare scramble series this year

Is the on-off power of the 2t going to be harder to handle than the 450 in the tight woods? Will it overheat as easily? Is it going to feel as heavy as the 450?

Thanks

I agree, ask your friend if you could test ride it.

I have a strong feeling you'll end up liking it, the power of 2 strokes is not like you describe at all (on / off switch).

I ride a 450f and 250 smoker and I will give my opinion even though the 450s arent the same, and i dont do alot of woods riding but do get out from time to time. The 250 will feel MUCH lighter than the 450. Power (low end) will be on par for woods riding with the help of FWW and gearing changes. These changes will also help emmensly with wheel spin as well along with taming that "hit" you describe and what most people are worried about most with 2 strokes for woods riding. Maintenance is cheaper by leaps and bounds. I agree with the above post, I think you'll fall in love with it as its nothing like you or your friend described it to be.

Dude, most of us who are older grew up on 2 strokes. You don't know what your missing. Get a 2 stroke. You'll be very happy you did.

Ask your friend if you can ride it. :thumbsup:

Ive rode it but only in a feild never in the trails. I would love to take it in some single track before i buy it, but theres about 2 feet of snow on the gound still :ride:

My last bike was a YZ250 that I rode in the woods. The YZ250 doesn't have an on/off power delivery and it will lug the bike around if you short shift on trails. It does have some mid range hit that makes it prone to wheel spin while climbing anything rocky or with stepped roots, even with a 12oz FWW. That's why I sold mine. The KTM woods 2 strokes have a much smoother power delivery and an adjustable power-valve. Even the KTM 300 XC is mellow compared to the YZ.

Switch bikes with your friend on a trail with a rocky climb and you will know for sure if you like it.

A YZ250 will never overheat.

My last bike was a YZ250 that I rode in the woods. The YZ250 doesn't have an on/off power delivery and it will lug the bike around if you short shift on trails. It does have some mid range hit that makes it prone to wheel spin while climbing anything rocky or with stepped roots, even with a 12oz FWW. That's why I sold mine. The KTM woods 2 strokes have a much smoother power delivery and an adjustable power-valve. Even the KTM 300 XC is mellow compared to the YZ.

Switch bikes with your friend on a trail with a rocky climb and you will know for sure if you like it.

A YZ250 will never overheat.

I would love to get a ktm, but the money isnt there right now for me. Maybe next season ill save up for a 200xc or 300xc

I would love to get a ktm, but the money isnt there right now for me. Maybe next season ill save up for a 200xc or 300xc

Used ones can be had for a reasonable price...

Youve made the right decision my friend!:thumbsup::ride:

You WILL NOT be dissapointed!

Thanks, i sure hope so haha

does anyone have any advice on what a good size for a FFW would be?

Youve made the right decision my friend!:thumbsup::ride:

You WILL NOT be dissapointed!

+1 excellent choice :lol:

Go big on the FWW. The YZ motor can take it. If you're focused on tight and slow single track you want to prevent stalls period hence the FWW. IMO, it does little to soften the power delivery but does help traction some.

Nice. The right decision has been made IMO. I have run the 13OZ SFB flywheel with good results. The bike still seemed to have plenty punch but you could definitely feel it. A Rekluse is a better add for woods work IMO, but pricey. Keep and eye out for a used one:thumbsup:

You bought it? If so, nice ride...

Yup i bought it tuesday night. Today i went to start, it turned over first kick and it was cold. Deffinataly somthing im used to with the 450 haha

First thing im to do is rebulid it, then a FFW and some gaurds :thumbsup: