Sign in to follow this  

Turn signal question

I just received my edge taillight and it looks like getting a pair/set of LED turn signals will be a lot easier to mount than the stockers. So my question is: can I run LED on the back and leave the stockers up front? If I have to go all 4 is there a relay issue anyway? I see lots of cheap LED signals out there (heck they all seem cheaper than stock) so the relay question is more important.

P.S. just went out for a ride in the snow. Sorry, I should say just went out to fall in the snow.

I just received my edge taillight and it looks like getting a pair/set of LED turn signals will be a lot easier to mount than the stockers. So my question is: can I run LED on the back and leave the stockers up front? If I have to go all 4 is there a relay issue anyway? I see lots of cheap LED signals out there (heck they all seem cheaper than stock) so the relay question is more important.

P.S. just went out for a ride in the snow. Sorry, I should say just went out to fall in the snow.

You can mix them as you please....Remember the led`s are polarized.....Good thing is that if you connect them and they don`t work....swap the wires around....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling

i purchased my edge tail light with the LED flashers. because the rear are LED and the front are stock, a different amount of energy is used. all 4 blinkers blink at the same rate...the problem is that rate is fast!!! use a resistor if you go with the LEDS. i did and i love it.

Hello,

could you please tell me where exactly should I put the resistor?

Thanks

What size resistor and where do I install?

:banana:

It really depends on the energy consumption of your led array. But I`d go down to the shack, and pick up one of these.....

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062291&filterName=Type&filterValue=Power+resistors

or this.....

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062290&filterName=Type&filterValue=Power+resistors

These are meant to be used as load resistors.....Ie.....Not changing the voltage to your array ( blinker)....so they need to go parallel with the leads of your blinker wires.....In short....one end of the ress. goes to the negative....other to the positive.....Try the 10 ohm first....if that helps a little....but not enough....then try the 1 ohm......:):thumbsup:

Erling

Hello,

could you please tell me where exactly should I put the resistor?

Thanks

See post above.....:):thumbsup:

Erling

Or go the solid state flasher method. I used the one from custom dynamics for the Z1000 (same pin size) I depinned the plug on the flasher and the drz. Connected the spades and shrink wrapped them. Clean and reversable.

I found an LED-compatible 7-pin flasher relay replacement on fleabay from a vendor named 'luckybike'.

It hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully its 100% plug-n-play. I'd rather not use load resistors as that defeats the power-saving benefit of going to LEDs in the first place.

I'll update when it arrives and I have a chance to test it out.

If you use a generic, solid state relay, you'll get a normal flash rate even if you mix LED flashers with incandescents.

You won't need to use any resistors. In fact, you can even get rid of the stock, 7-wire turnsignal-sidestand relay. Here's a very simple way to make it all work:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904989