Sign in to follow this  

Valves going bad? Maybe????

I have a 05 crf 450 that i shimmed the valves then rode it for a week then it needed to be shimmed again. My friend said it might need a whole new valve job as in valves and reseated so does anybody have any recommendations on any of this? i would appreciate it thanks

yup. your intakes and or valve seats are shot unfortunately. you can only shim them so many times, and when it happens that fast it means your intake valves are starting to "tulip" and closing up.

I imagine you used a very small shim? eventually, you wont even be able to find a shim small enough to fit and at that point, its definitely time for a rebuild.

you can take it apart, buy all new valves, springs, etc.. and get the seats cut, find out how much that will cost though... it might be cheaper to just buy a whole new head. you can only cut your seats so many times before youre going to start needing special intake valves that are shorter (ask Ron Hamp about them I believe)

I highly recommend just buying a new, full bolt on head with SS intakes (hondas TI intakes are a horrible idea IMO). I bought mine from bigborethumpers.com and was very happy with it. very reasonable price too. the head was 650$, and the IOEM stock bore/comp cylinder, piston, gaskets were 370$ off ebay (PM me if you want the sellers name). so for under 1000$ I was able to rebuild my whole engnie, not too bad considering it will last 2-3 years, or more. could have done the crank for another 240$ to purchase it and 150$ or so to install it, but im cheap :ride: hopefully I dont regret that :thumbsup:

someone correct me if im wrong.

I emailed agent Agent Smith racing about a valve job, and they told me:

"Hey Del,

The TRX valves are excellent quality (as all OEM Honda parts are) however they are steel, not stainless steel like the Kibblewhites. Stainless will deal with heat and corrosion resistance better than plain steel. The Kibblewhites also use a coil over coil spring system which will control the valve float a little better.

That being said, there are many Baja racers out there using the TRX valves with no complaints. There will be no appreciable loss of power to speak of.

If you go with the first option (TRX) the total will be $ 344.67 plus shipping (no tax if you are outside CA and provided the guides are good to go.)

Paul

AS Racing

661 993 0466"

When my valves go bad, I'm going with ASracing. I will use the trx valves, I'm sure they will last. I have put 70hrs on my used 05', I don't know how many it had before. I service it regularly and keep the air filter clean.

yeah, thats if you take off the head and send it in, the valve guides also have to be reusable. Replacing the guides is extra. ASracing, has tons of good reviews, you can't go wrong with them. Download a manual and take your time, you can find the manual on this site.

I would send my head away to a quality shop. Do a search, you will find plenty of recommendations.

It appears to be cheaper than getting a new head.

Also, be careful of local shops who lack the experience and equipment to do it right. Lots of posts from guys who use their local shops and are disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love local shops, but there are folks who specialize in this type of work and do it better and cheaper than the average bear.