Sign in to follow this  

MY first valve adjustment

Well, finally got around to my first valve adjustment on my '06 450x. Since i installed my vapor i logged 82hours and 1900 miles. I put in maybe half a season of weekend trail riding before i installed the vapor. The original owner said he only rode the bike in 2 or 3 of those trail ride events where u go through town / checkpoints etc. I only use the bike for lighter trail riding on weekends, and some around town and longer supermoto rides.

Here are my results........................................... Both intake valves were .006, my left exhaust valve was .010 and my right one was .009!

I thought i remember reading on here that the exhausts tend to go loose. So do you guys think that exhaust valve is too tight? Does it need to be shimmed??

TIA for your 450xpert advice :thumbsup:

I wouldnt worry about it. Of course its not my bike so why would I worry? Haha all joking aside, leave it alone, its perfect. I have an 05 450X with lots of miles and my valves stayed perfect. I attribute it to clean air filter.

Did mine for the first time last week. Right exhaust was tight to .008 left was right on

.011. Intakes were both fine. seems to be a trend right now about having this happen to the x's.

Did mine for the first time last week. Right exhaust was tight to .008 left was right on

.011. Intakes were both fine. seems to be a trend right now about having this happen to the x's.

yea i guess so. ARe you going to shim it or leave it alone? There seems to be a growing number of people spec'ing to .004 and .008....at least from what i've read tonight

I may be in the minority but it's best to keep those valves in spec IMHO.

+1:thumbsup: go one shim thinner on the .009 exhaust valve.

I believe .011 is optimal, but its not a perfect world. .009 would work for me. I really doubt its going to move anymore. It may have been like that from the factory. Maybe that day they ran out of the shim that would have made the gap perfect. If its more than .011 it will likely make objectional noise.