Sign in to follow this  

Need some advice - DRZ400s to a RM 250

Whats up everyone! I am in need of some advice and hope you guys can help me out. I am posting here in the DRZ400 section in hopes a lot of you will have more of an idea than the "General thread" would and here is why.

I have had a 2006 DRZ400s for 3 years now and have the opportunity to trade straight across for a 2006 RMZ 250 Ricky Carmichael edition. All of my friends are riders and have been riding for years (it's the reason I got a DRZ in the first place as they said it was a good learning bike). Being 37 years old, I am not the most aggressive rider (as in trying to go as fast as I can at all times) but I am an average rider. To give some an idea I ride at Stoneyford, Pi Pi Valley and Carnegie (which is mostly hill climbs) and my buddies usually don't have to wait for more than a few minutes.

Anyways, I have had it with the heavy weight of the bike as I ride mostly dirt only. My concern is that the 250 will be too much work. I am used to the DRZ where I aim at a hill and hit it 2nd or 3rd gear and cruise on up. There's not a lot of clutching involved. My buddies tell me "you are always on the clutch on a 250".

My bike specs are:

2006 DRZ 400s.

1900 miles on it. (yeah pretty low I know :ride:)

Full FMF pipe (power core 4)

14 tooth front sprocket (for easier hill climbing)

ASV levers

I am 5' 10" and 225 lbs.

So here's some questions that I get a different answer from every time I ask my friends. You know how stories go with friends who like to mess with each other (for example, "yeah get a 250 so we can watch you fall on your a**!!!"..etc..)

Can I lug a 250 up a hill like a DRZ does when I get in certain situations?

Would a fly wheel weight help with not worrying about stalling the bike when not on the throttle?

Would a 450 be a better choice for me? The 450 has more power I hear but you can lug them up hills if needed (so I am told) where as on the 250 you are either on the throttle or off of it? :thumbsup:

Do you think it would be a wise trade?

Basically in a nutshell, I ride only dirt and am tired of the heaviness of the DRZ. One of my friends that I ride with has the 250 I would be trading for (along with several others). I know where the bike has been and what it's been through.

Anyways, time to end this long post. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone,

Mark

I just picked up another DRZ for a more easy going trail ride. The power and snap are alot less than my two stroke ktm, so I don't have always pay such close attention when riding. The newer 2 stroke 250's don't need to be clutched alot to be in the power band unless your a real good rider and always want to be high in the rpms.

If I only could have one bike and was only riding in dirt, I'd definitely go with the 2 stroke. The weight handling and power are a lot of fun. They're just more of a serious offroad bike than the drz will ever be.

If you haven't gotten a chance to ride the bike, I'd suggest trying to get an opportunity to get a ride on it for a bit. You may hate the hyperness of the power...some folks don't like that instant response. You may also miss the engine braking of the DRZ when going down hills. It helps a bunch in keeping the bike under control compared to the two stroke.

Hope this perspective helps.

It is much easier to stall an rmz250 than a drz400. The flywheel is alot lighter on those bikes. I personally don't think the drz400 is heavy at all. I ride it on trails all the time and once you get used to it then it becomes a non issue unless of course you race. You said you have 1900 miles on it, I would give the bike a chance. It seems for offroad only light trail riding the rmz would be overkill. If you are going to go the race bike route, take a look at some 125 two smokers. Excellent and affordable machines offroad.

What is it about the weight that it feels too heavy? Picking it up, general responsiveness, singletrack trails????...

How important is power to you.... or is the delivery of that power more important?

Hi and thanks for your replies and help.

The DRZ has been a great bike but it's not a "dirt bike". The thing I hate most about the DRZ is going down hills and when I fall and have to pick the bike up... haha!

As for the power, I like the power of the DRZ...I am concerned about the "delivery" of power if I move to the RMZ 250. I don't want to be looping it all the time going up steep hills. I heard the 450's are a little more forgiving in low rpm's compared to the snappy response of a 250.

As for the riding conditions I normally ride, it is either steep rutted up hill climbs or pretty rough single tracks. I am no expert by any means but I wouldn't call the trails we normally go on "light". The only light part is the fire roads getting to the trails.

I have not yet had a chance to ride the bike but my buddies all tell me I will hate it at first and it will scare the heck out of me! But my theory is, I don't have to twist the throttle all the way..however...a 250 might not work like that! I don't know, which is why I'm here. :thumbsup:

The power delivery on an rmz250 is nice and snappy but remember that once you get used to it then you will be able to deliver that power however you want. You can also get different throttle tubes to customize the delivery to a point. The rmz is much lighter and is much better suspended. Assuming you will setup the suspension to your height/weight then hillclimbs will be fine. The stock hp of the rmz250 and drz400 is pretty close. Also consider there is much more maintenance on an rmz and top end jobs more often. I think you will be more happy with an rmz unless of course you can find a good deal on a wr450 or rmz450. a direct comparison of the drz400 and rmz250 will be that you have to ride the 250 a little more like a 2 stroke and keep the revs up to squeeze the power out of the little 250. They are snappy but not much torque down low.

The DRZ has been a great bike but it's not a "dirt bike".

Maybe YOUR DRZ is not, but mine is.:ride:

Have you tried to lighten it up ?

For off road only your gearing is way too tall, try 14/47 or steeper.

You will loose your estart.

The DRZ is a hill climbing fool.:thumbsup:

I have a DRZS and an RMX250 (the enduro version of the RM) the rmx is so much easier to ride in the nasty stuff, the weight makes a huge difference to me, an the RM would be even lighter than my RMX. If the bike you are looking at has been ridden in the woods it might already be setup well, but if not you can add a flywheel weight, it will help with the lugging, a G2 throttle cam will slow the throttle response and a Knarley pipe will smooth out the hit and give you more low end, I think they also have a Rekluse clutch available for the RM

I can lug my rmx like a four stroke or ride it on the pipe, the only thing I do miss is having the button start.

The only way you will know if you will like it is to ride it.

A buddy of mine rides a WR250 and me a DRZ-S and he has no problem or does even better than me trail riding and he is close to 300 lbs! Suspension setup is the biggest factor and once you learn the power curve you will adjust to it immediately. He does not have a flywheel weight. The problem with the DRZ is WHERE it carries its weight and that is up very high on the bike. It makes it feels super heavy(300+ pounds) compared to a WR or RMZ which is almost 80 pounds lighter(230-240 pounds)