Sign in to follow this  

bike floods out please help

I just bought my son a 1995 Suzuki jr50. The guy I bought it from just replacd the carb. The bike starts up first kick but as soon as I give it any gas it floods out spits gas all over the air filter and dies. I no nothing about carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions. This is my sons first bike and he really wants to ride it.

It spits gas all over the air filter? Check the float height/level. Does it restart after it dies right away or do you have to wait until it dries out to restart it?

Check the float height. Can you smell the gas when you give it gas and it stalls? The float may be too high. But if it starts right back up, it may be too low. The guy you bought it from may have replaced the carb, but it may have been used and not set correctly. I would clean it up good while you have it off too.

Before monkeying with the float height, I'd check that the proper main jet is in there and the needle is set correctly. I almost never touch the float unless it's flooding when NOT running and I don't think a guy with no carb experience is the best candidate to be messing with the float height.

I'd also take off the air filter and run it without to be sure the filter isn't over oiled.

Maybe also take off the silencer as it may be clogged or he may have done some other crazy mod and most 90's and 50's have those 'restriction washers' in the header pipe where it meets the head and he may have put that back in or or may have broken and is partially blocking the exhaust.

I now have stevep91's bike, I bought it for my son. The throttle valve was stuck in the cylinder. honed it out and cleaned the carb. works good now!!!! still had no power so had to clean up the carbon in the exhaust port and clean out the spark arrester but now moves my 250 lb around the yard with no problems.