Sign in to follow this  

JR50 help {{{PLEASE}}}

I just bought my son a 1995 jr50.The guy I bought it from just replaced the carb. and now the bike starts first kick but as soon as I give it gas it bogs down spits gas all over the air filter and dies. I know nothing about carbs. so does anyone have any suggestions? This is my sons first bike and he really wants to ride it.

Well, it sound like you have to take the carb apart and inspect to make sure everything has been installed correctly. Was the bike running fine when you bought it?

You need to make sure the bike warms up. Otherwise it will die for no reason at all. Let it idle for a while. Then try small flutters on the throttle. If no avail, post back and if it won't run, clean the carburetor.

just bought the bike from stevep91 and like he said the carb did have issues. I took it apart yesterday found out the throttle valve was stuck in the cylinder, honed it out now slides like it should. carb was dirty so I took the jets out, dipped and cleaned everything put it back together. She now runs and has throttle responce but unfortunatly NO power, I thought it was a rich condition and needed to be leaned out but after reading several forums on jr50 mods I need to look at the throttle stop. not knowing what that screw was I set the throttle stop like a air /fuel screw 1 1/4 out from bottom. I turned it while at idle but it didn't seem to have any effect so left it at 1 1/4 . I'll mess with it later today and let you know if it helps.

Stevep91 I thought you might find this funny, I showed my son pictures of a new jr50 and he told me in a toddler voice "dad I just want a quad" !!!!!!!! lol

well I took off the muffler to clean it , totally gummed up, adjusted the main jet needle until it ran at full rpm's ( bottom clip) but ran out of time in order to finish the carb (kid woke up from nap). I think I still need to adjust float level, if the bike is tilted to the left side it leans it out and revs up a little more. there is still alot of hesitation ?????? any sugestions? one last thing, at mid to high rpm the bike is spilling oil out the breather plug on the top of the crankcase? is this normal? you would think by the size of the oil puddle it would be an old harley !!!!!!!!!

one last thing, at mid to high rpm the bike is spilling oil out the breather plug on the top of the crankcase? is this normal? you would think by the size of the oil puddle it would be an old harley !!!!!!!!!

Mine did that too, I think mine was just over full though. I drained it and refilled it with 450ml of Rotella 15w-40. I haven't had any problems since.

Mine did that too, I think mine was just over full though. I drained it and refilled it with 450ml of Rotella 15w-40. I haven't had any problems since.

thanks, I'll try it and see if that works

one last thing, at mid to high rpm the bike is spilling oil out the breather plug on the top of the crankcase? is this normal? you would think by the size of the oil puddle it would be an old harley !!!!!!!!!

No, that's not normal. When set up properly, the JR50 is a pretty 'dry' running engine. Keep the rear muffler cleaned out and 2-stroke oil in the tank and its relatively maintenance friendly.

No, that's not normal. When set up properly, the JR50 is a pretty 'dry' running engine. Keep the rear muffler cleaned out and 2-stroke oil in the tank and its relatively maintenance friendly.

What would cause oil to spill out of the breather???? faulty breather?? I dont think she is over full, however I don't have a manual to know how much oil she needs and don't know a whole lot about the 50cc oil injected 2 strokes.

thanks

When I drained mine, it looked like someone put 2 cycle oil in the gear oil. And I could see how a young kid or an inexperienced adult could mistake that for the the fill hole.

What would cause oil to spill out of the breather???? faulty breather?? I dont think she is over full, however I don't have a manual to know how much oil she needs and don't know a whole lot about the 50cc oil injected 2 strokes.

thanks

The gear oil is simply 10w40. There is a bolt/screw on the right hand case that you remove to check the level. Hold the bike upright and fill until it comes out the hole.

The breather is a simple rubber cap that fits over the top of the crankcase tube...nothing fancy there.

One problem may be that the bike was filled with it on the sidestand, which would result in overfilling.