Sign in to follow this  

sprocket help

currently running a 13t 48t sprocket combo on my rm-250 cause thats what the bike came with. both front and back are brand new less then 1 hr ride time. i need more low end in the hills and that i normally ride. current gearing seams to work pretty good in the dunes. was thinking the cheapest and easiest route would be to get a 12t front for the woods and put the 13t in for the dunes.. i hate to change out the brand new $60 rear sprocket but would it be better to run a 51t on the back? most of my ridding is in the trees and hills and i am constantly clutching to get through technical stuff.

forgot to say that it is a 2000 rm250 and the catalog lists 13-48 as the stock setup

I have a 13 front and 50 rear on my 02. I don't seem to have any problems with this setup. But you do have to use the clutch in really technical stuff. Otherwise you will gear it so low, you would do 30 mph top speed. I tried a 14 front and it seemed the same in first and second gear but in the higher gears, it was much faster top speed and I didn't need that much. Are you riding in first or trying to keep it in second or third and using the clutch to slip on the power? Trying the 12 front would be my suggestion to try next. It will not set you back too much to try it.