Sign in to follow this  

JD jetting question

Installed the JD kit a few weeks ago and went to fine tune it today. As per the instructions, I installed the 165 main, red needle on the 4th from the top line.

Baffle and airbox mods as well. I can screw the fuel screw in all the way without any change to the rpms, my question is, do I need to go to a smaller main, like the 162 or do I need to change something else?

why would the kit not include these? also what size should I get, the current one is stock, on an 05' 450x

I did forget to mention I put an aftermarket fuel screw in as well, I have read those not always a good route, should i switch back to the stock and try it before changing the pilot, or would that have made any real difference?

You haven't told us what size pilot jet you installed.

Your new fuel screw is fine, as long as it has the oring, washer and spring.

Your symptoms say you are lean at the idle circuit (pilot). Go down one size from what you put in.

I would also drop the needle one notch.

for the fuel, the only items changed were the main, the needle, and the fuel screw. I just got done reading some others posts that the Zipty fuel screw does not seat all the way, and is shorter than the stock one, so that may be the problem, going to try the stock one again instead of the Zipty and see if that changes things at all.

ok, took the Zipty fuel screw out and compared it to the stock one, it was 1-2mm shorter than the stock one at the point end! so possibly it wont fully seat? with the stock one installed it did change the rpms, the zipty wouldnt change the rpms at all when screwed in.