New stator....still no charging and runs bad

quick rundown of the past few months...

started bike after sitting for a few weeks. Idled fine, but sputtered with any throttle and wasn't charging. Took carb apart, cleaned everything. was never left with "prime" on. No fuel in my oil. (changed it). No difference. Read the thread about source coil and sputtering. Replaced entire stator. (confirmed my old one was bad). started bike up, but would only run on full choke and with no throttle. Also, it was not charging at the battery. Disconnected the Reg rect. at the black and red to test there while bike was running. accidentally bridged the red and black with my leads. Sparked. Bike continued to run, but died. Now can't even start it. Did I fry the reg rect.? would that cause any of this?

quick rundown of the past few months...

started bike after sitting for a few weeks. Idled fine, but sputtered with any throttle and wasn't charging. Took carb apart, cleaned everything. was never left with "prime" on. No fuel in my oil. (changed it). No difference. Read the thread about source coil and sputtering. Replaced entire stator. (confirmed my old one was bad). started bike up, but would only run on full choke and with no throttle. Also, it was not charging at the battery. Disconnected the Reg rect. at the black and red to test there while bike was running. accidentally bridged the red and black with my leads. Sparked. Bike continued to run, but died. Now can't even start it. Did I fry the reg rect.? would that cause any of this?

Yes you could`of..... But the only way to know, is to go through the charging system step by step as described in the faq section. Since the bike won`t start....see if it has a spark...... If yes.....it should start......You need to troubleshoot one system at a time........?:thumbsup:

Erling

Yes you could`of..... But the only way to know, is to go through the charging system step by step as described in the faq section. Since the bike won`t start....see if it has a spark...... If yes.....it should start......You need to troubleshoot one system at a time........?:thumbsup:

Erling

yes, bike has spark.(checked it). Checked stator yellow wires to each other and am showing 0.0 on ohms. Is that bad? I'm very unfamiliar with using my voltmeter other than to check voltage. I did read the sticky on charging system check, but not sure I understand it fully. sorry. This stator is brand spanking new. Could I have ruined it? No frickin idea why the bike won't start at all now

yes, bike has spark.(checked it). Checked stator yellow wires to each other and am showing 0.0 on ohms. Is that bad? I'm very unfamiliar with using my voltmeter other than to check voltage. I did read the sticky on charging system check, but not sure I understand it fully. sorry. This stator is brand spanking new. Could I have ruined it? No frickin idea why the bike won't start at all now

I don`t think you killed the stator by shorting out the dc out put from the r/r.....Go through the ohm test for starts in the faq section......and post the results.......?:thumbsup:

Erling

if it has spark you have a fuel delivery issue.

I feel the same way eddie, but I never did anything to my carb when it sat for 3 weeks. and I never left it on prime. I then cleaned out the carb just to be certain. Then I read the thread about the source coil causing "carb related symptoms".... the sputtering when rolling on the throttle. I did get the bike running again, but will only run with the choke on, and can't give it any throttle. My final guess is that my diaphragm in my petcock is bad and the vacuum line is sucking in gas. Eddie, is this a possibility? Have you seen that before? what does it cause?

Thanks for any advice/help

I feel the same way eddie, but I never did anything to my carb when it sat for 3 weeks. and I never left it on prime. I then cleaned out the carb just to be certain. Then I read the thread about the source coil causing "carb related symptoms".... the sputtering when rolling on the throttle. I did get the bike running again, but will only run with the choke on, and can't give it any throttle. My final guess is that my diaphragm in my petcock is bad and the vacuum line is sucking in gas. Eddie, is this a possibility? Have you seen that before? what does it cause?

Thanks for any advice/help

Easy enough to check if it is sucking fuel through the vacuum line. Pull the line off the petcock and plug it. Put the the petcock in the prime position and start her up. Thing is that if it is running on choke it isn't a too much fuel issue but not enough fuel. Stock "S" carb? Try replacing the pilot jet.

Easy enough to check if it is sucking fuel through the vacuum line. Pull the line off the petcock and plug it. Put the the petcock in the prime position and start her up. Thing is that if it is running on choke it isn't a too much fuel issue but not enough fuel. Stock "S" carb? Try replacing the pilot jet.

I see your point. But why would I all of a sudden need to change my pilot jet? The bike ran perfect before. Tried your test, and it runs the same.

I see your point. But why would I all of a sudden need to change my pilot jet? The bike ran perfect before. Tried your test, and it runs the same.

Because your pilot jet is blocked. Everything you've posted points to a blocked up pilot circuit and a charging problem.

All it takes is a minute amount of crud to clog the thing and they are notoriously problematic to clean. Remember, as the fuel in the carb evaporates it forms a "varnish" of the chemicals that don't evaporate.

Because your pilot jet is blocked. Everything you've posted points to a blocked up pilot circuit and a charging problem.

It may have a charging problem but tackle one problem at a time. Get it running and then address the other problems.

RE charge problem. I don't think you can damage the stator by shorting the DC side of the rectifier/regulator (RR). But can you damage the RR? I don't know, maybe. You shorted out the power diodes, that would be hard on them. However, you can't check for charging that way anyway. Battery need to be in the system. If/when you get the motor to run, with the electrical system fully connected, and the battery fully charged, check voltage at the battery. If the voltage is anything above the voltage of the battery when the motor is off, the system is charging at least some. Something close to 14 volts DC is good. If no charge, then check stator voltage per FAQ. I suspect that is OK. Then check for wire and connection problems. If still no charge then I suspect the RR was damaged by the short out. You can bench test the rectifier diodes with your test meter or a light bulb per FAQ.

thanks for all the great advice. I will take the carb apart again and clean it...again. maybe something did get clogged. I'll get back here when I get it running right again. There still is aways the source coil that could cause this...but I just replaced the friggin stator. arrgghh!

question about carb circuits. I understand the idle circuit runs at low RPMs, but if I hammer the throttle, shouldn't the main jet take over and rev up? Sorry for my lack of knowledge

your signature says 01 DRZ400. I didn't see a reply to the 'stock S carb?' question. If it is a BSR carb I am sure the slide won't come up fast enough to keep from stalling without engine vacuum that requires engine rpms.

If it is a cable pull slide I still suspect the air velocity would be questionable though the accel pump should dump fuel in. If you have one plugged jet who is to say there are not more? Clean the carb time!