My KTM 250 SX Scares me!

I am 43 years old 6' 3'' and just over 200lbs. I have ridden a few times but would say I am a beginner. I do know how to use a clutch and putt around. I ride with my ten year old son (crf 100). We enjoy trails and gravel roads, no jumping or anything too aggressive.

So what do I buy for my first bike?? Ktm 250 SX,,, 2005.

I have been out a few times and have improved, but I find it waaaay tooo snappy. I believe it has a 12oz flywheel weight as there was a package that came with the box of parts. 13 teeth on front sprocket and 48 on the back. I am considering regearing but am thinking this bike may never suit my passive riding style.

Some say I will grow into it. I am not sure if I want to.

I am wondering if a less aggressive four stoke is better for me. Any suggestions for a new rider with limited knowledge??

I wanted a CRF 230 but was told its too small.

Edited by NewRider43
Spelling

I am 43 years old 6' 3'' and just over 200lbs. I have ridden a few times but would say I am a beginner. I do know how to use a clutch and put around. I ride with my to year old son (crf 100). We enjoy trails and gravel roads, no jumping or anything too aggressive.

So what do I buy for my first bike?? Ktm 250 SX,,, 2005.

I have been out a few times and have improved a bit bit find it way to snappy. I believe it has a 12oz flywheel weight as there was a package that came with the box of parts. 13 teeth on front sprocket and 48 on the back. I am considering regearing but am thinking this bike may never suit my passive riding style.

Some say I will grow into it.

I am wondering if a less aggressive four stoke is better for me. Any suggestions for a new rider with limited knowledge??

I wanted a CRF 230 but was told its too small.

XR250......... 250SX is WAY to much for a beginner and the CRF isn't suited for anyone bigger than about 85lbs.

The WR250F was a great bike for me to get back into riding on. Reliable as an anvil, easy to ride, E start for the frequent starts stops with kids. Rode it for 3 yrs without so much as a hiccup. Was even fairly competitive racing it.

If you want to stay KTM 2 stroke, then a properly set up 250 EXC/XCW may be better suited for you.

You're riding an MX bike in the woods for relaxing trail rides, the CRF-230 would have been the better choice. ?

A KDX200/220, CRF-230, and XR-250. Those would probably be the best options. I am a 2-stroke fan myself so I would go with the KDX. Perfect trail bikes and still leave room to grow into as they have a good amount of power, just given in a tamer way than a 250F does.

I don't think it is humanly possible to destroy a KDX or a CRF-230 from my experience. Reliability is what defines them. I hear the same goes for a XR-250 but I've never owned one.

What powervalve spring do you have in it?

You could have the head reshaped or get a xcw head to tame it down a fair bit, a long with a xc/xcw cdi.

First off I'd see what powervalve spring you have in it, you'll want to try the green spring, it should smooth it out a lot, then you can even adjust it some to fine tune.

Thanks for all the great info,, a lot to go on now. I have put the KTM up for sale.

The XR 250 seems like a great bike for me but they are all older and I have read about starting problems.

The Wr 250 by all accounts looks good.

I'd love a CRF 250 but have read about high maintenance issues and cost,,, valve set up work etc.

Keep the info comming as I am weighing my options from a more informed standpoint now. This site is great!!

You're riding an MX bike in the woods for relaxing trail rides, the CRF-230 would have been the better choice. ?

A KDX200/220, CRF-230, and XR-250. Those would probably be the best options. I am a 2-stroke fan myself so I would go with the KDX. Perfect trail bikes and still leave room to grow into as they have a good amount of power, just given in a tamer way than a 250F does.

I don't think it is humanly possible to destroy a KDX or a CRF-230 from my experience. Reliability is what defines them. I hear the same goes for a XR-250 but I've never owned one.

+1

a 230 is under powered, with a weak suspension... but these bikes are still a blast to ride.. Just don't plan on being a serious racer without serious money into the bikes..

I'm 23, 150 pounds and I love tearing up trails on my 150f!

I agree with the most of the replies...CRF250X, WR250F and such...If you are just putting around I would stay away from the 2 strokes. Fouling plugs is no fun, they require more maintenance in the long run and you want to get away from snappy throttle right. Good luck.

I agree with the most of the replies...CRF250X, WR250F and such...If you are just putting around I would stay away from the 2 strokes. Fouling plugs is no fun, they require more maintenance in the long run and you want to get away from snappy throttle right. Good luck.

2t's require more maint in the long run?? How's that?

Just my opinion; you don't want the brutal power of the MX 2T, and I doubt you'll like how hard you have to push a 250 MX style 4T to get them to move (as in CRF250R/X), they have very weak low end torque and need to be run at higher RPM's.

I think you would be happier with a bike that had plenty of low end torque without the big hit, that makes for a bike that's real easy to ride. I really like the KDX 200's for that type of riding, their light and easy to ride. The KDX is bike that won't scare the bigginers or hold back the fast guys, and you cannot find a dirt bike thats more reliable than a KDX.

I bought my GF a '94 KDX as a step up from her CRF230F. The KDX really surprised me, it handles excellent and is really easy to ride. I'm sure in most woods riding I could go as fast on it as I do my CR250R, but the CR250R would scare the crap out of my GF. Don't worry about a KDX hauling a big guy like you, I'm 230lbs w/o gear and it hauls me just fine.

+2 on the KDX. They feel 30 lbs. lighter than a four-stroke and the power delivery is easy to manage as a beginner. I'm 6'6 and 205 w/out gear. The KDX200 & 220 are both enough bike to have fun on.

2t's require more maint in the long run?? How's that?

A 2t more maintenance long term than a CRF 250X:lol:??

I am a slug, and have not fouled a plug on a 2t ever. But alas this thread is not about 2t's and 4t's. BTW I am no CRF 250X hater. I have one and have owned it since brand new. It is by far the most maintenance intensive ride I have owned. But trail ridden they can last a long time. Just not in the same league as CRF 230 or XR.