Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Do i really need a rack for the tail bag on the SM?

My buddy did TAT with his tail bag just strapped to the subframe. Worked great and less weight. Fender plastic gets pretty beat up looking though.

My son just bought an 07 sm and he is opting for the rack so he doesn't mess up the fender to ride to and from college

Well the bag will only be used ocasionally (2 or 3 times a month) and the one i got is supposed to have an anti-scratch padded thinguie i think, also i dont think the scratched fender could look worst than a rack itself anyway :ride: I was more worried about a structural problem.

Thx a lot for your feedback guys, even for these non-vital matters.

:thumbsup:

Knowing what I know now: If I had neither and I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the rack. I did the tail-bag for a while because I had one. The rack will work with lots of things like grocery bags, laptop bags, duffels, boxes, six-packs of energy drinks, etc. and combinations of those. I'm guessing you're going to wind up with a rack eventually anyway. Hope it works out whatever you decide.

Now I have the EMGO hard case mounted on a TCI rack on my SM. Only downside is difficulty in getting my leg over or in front of the case in tight quarters. I can stash my helmet in the case while I get groceries.

I have a bigger waterproof (watersports type) bag that I hope to use sometime for some minor adventures. It's long so it would be half on the rack and half on the seat.

I don't have a rack on the tail of my bike becasue I don't carry enough stuff. Also... most of the time, it's just to roll up a jacket when I'm hot, and I use a bungee.

If you don't have a rack... yes, your fender will start get scratched, but a new fender from UFO is only $22.

But the short anser is... no you don't need a rack since you have a sub-frame under the fender.

PB180401.jpg

If you look around someone made a rack out of a up side down milk crate. Managed to bolt it to existing holes. The bottom of the crate formed the rack. He cut away the sides to make the struts. He totally removed the back and front.:thumbsup:

Knowing what I know now: If I had neither and I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the rack.

Hmmm, never thought about just getting the rack, guess that would have been a good option too, but already paid for the tailbag, so i guess ill try it like that for a while.

a new fender from UFO is only $22.

But the short anser is... no you don't need a rack since you have a sub-frame under the fender.

Exactly!

If you look around someone made a rack out of a up side down milk crate. Managed to bolt it to existing holes. The bottom of the crate formed the rack. He cut away the sides to make the struts. He totally removed the back and front.:thumbsup:

ROFL!

Put some inexpensive shelving paper down on the fender before installing the tailbag. It will keep the scratches away and easily removes since it is tacky, not sticky. This is what we do on our streetbikes with tailbags when we go to Laguna Seca. I also use that rubberized nonskid stuff, but it doesn't stick.

Does tha tbag have flat straps that you bolt to the subframe? That would be kinda cool if they hooked up outta the way when bag was off. Otherwise how do you strap it down? Be careful on plastics, I ran a net and hooked it the the passenger pegs for "storage" it made lines on the white plastics on the first ride.

Some " no Mar" mags have some nice chamis-like stuff on the bottom that is great for metal fenders but can still dull plastics. If you trimmed s little piece of non-skid rubber like on stair treads that would keep your plastic and help keep the bag in place as long as the adhesive came off ok. May be save that for after its all hacked up?

You could even get a piece of removable sign vinyl from a sign or banner shop and put a strip of that down. It would come off very easily when you didnt want it.

Lots of options but I would still go with the rack. Its so quick to clip to. The Euro rack is way sweet and looks awesome on the SM.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=22503

I would rather having the rack too, but its a budget thing i cant get a nice rack in my city so i have to take it from the US, then it would be too expensive and i would only use it for the tailbag and every once in a while, so ill trust our friends here and try the tailbag without the rack for a while.