Sign in to follow this  

GREAT Valve job!

I spent a total of 13 hours (over two days) trying to adjust my valves. Its on a 2010 CRF 250R..... First I thought i had the timing wrong..... nope. Then I thought the spark plug wire was off. Nope. Thought I left a rag in the TB.... nope. Changed the shims from stock, to shimed, to stock, to shimed 4 times. Checked the timing again.... all good.

Then this morning after reading ThumperTalk, I thought about my cam chain tensioner not being backed off...... Took ten kicks and TADA! she runs great.

I think i removed the valve cover and fuel tank 16 times.......

I guess the question is, did i do any damage by trying to crank the motor with the cam chain too tight? Also, when I was cranking, the motor was real quite, and even after the chain loosing, it started real quite, then all of the sudden came back to the right noise? Like soomething popped back in place?

Rookie valve job......... Rode it today after fixing it, but was too tired, finger pump, arm pump, i was just pumping.:thumbsup:

as long as the chain did not skip a teeth on the cam gear it should be okay, but you should have checked it before starting the engine