Sign in to follow this  

Fitting/ removing an endless chain?

Time for a new chain and sprocket kit, but I have an endless chain installed on the bike and the manual states that the swinging arm needs to be removed in order to take off and replace the chain (assuming a similar one will be used) if a chain breaker is not available.

I don`t intend to buy a chain breaker as I would hardly ever use it so it looks like I will take the s/a out.

Any thoughts on this? Sounds a bit extreme to me, but there doesn`t seem to be another way of doing it short of shelling out for a chain breaker, which I may not ever use again, or getting a shop to do it.

Haven`t changed a chain for well over 10 years (shaft drive bike fan:thumbsup:) but I used to use the master link type chains but the manual says, due to strength issues, they are not recommended for the drz.

Anyone done this?

Take a 5 inch angle grinder to one of the chain links and grind the posts flat, take a drift and hammer and punch out link. Then you can replace with master link chain if you want. Chain splitters are not that expensive and a really handy tool to have in the shed. I also use mine to help install master links :thumbsup:

Die grinder, 15 seconds and the chians cut in half, the grinders not cheap, hack saw works or chain breaker. beats taking the swing arm off. Flat rate, cut it off.

easyest way is the angle grinder the pins flat on one link the just use a chisel in between the outer and inner links or the link you just grinded. but in order to install the chain u will need a chain press to press the masterlink together and if you are using a rivet link u will also need a rivet tool. clip just pops right on

A good Motion Pro chain breaker is under $30. Or cut off as suggested. There is no loss of strength with a connecting link. You can use a rivet type or clip type. Either type needs to be pressed together. Buy a link press, or improvise with vise grips or use the chain breaker as a press. None of it is very hard to do.

Yes you can remove the swing arm. That is not difficult either but I suspect the only source of replacement chain will be OEM Suzuki.

So are most aftermarket chains for the drz the old style with a master link? Any strength or durability issues compared to the endless type?

I was under the impression that 520 chains were mostly endless thus needing special tools to remove and install?? Not the case??

I would much prefer to use an old style chain as I won`t need to buy any special tools to install it and it`s a quick and simple job to replace.

Thanks for the feedback so far....

Doc,

All the aftermarket chains Ive ever worked with are not endless,they come with a specific amount of links,and either a clip style master link,or the rivet style.A clip style is fine for a low HP bike.The rivet style is required for HIgh HP sportbikes etc.If you want to do your own work,your going to need tools.You need to be able to at least cut a chain for the right amount of links your running.An angle grinder,punch,hammer at the minimum.Way faster than taking your swingarm off.I have the motion pro tool,and I still use an angle grinder to remove the pin head so I dont beat up the tool (you will bend the tools pin punch).Putting the clip on can be a little tricky on an o-ring chain,as the link plates need to be compressed,the motion pro tool does this also.

If you should decide to pull the swing arm it is a good time to lube all the bearings in the arm and linkage. You should do this occasionally anyway. If you have a dremel tool you can also use it to cut the chain. And the clip type master links work fine. I have many thousands of miles over thirty years of riding using them with no problem. You just need to be sure to install them properly.

I have run master link chains on all my dirt bikes and never had one fail yet.

TT600 wr426 drz 400 and many more before , I am 50 so I wont list them all.:thumbsup:

Here is Oz the standard chain on a S is a RK so I purchased a RK520 SO Master Chain Link. I've had no trouble riding dirt or tarmac with this master link. Sure is alot easier to clean the chain when you can take it off easily.

:thumbsup:st get a chain tool,cheep,been using clip style masters for over 75000 on many bikes,never a issue,i use a small c clamp with sockets for installing o ring type,:ride::thumbsup:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.:thumbsup:

Think I will go for an old style with the master link, as many of you have recommended. I will still take the swing arm off to remove the old chain as I want to give the bike a good clean and lube everything anyway.

I have enough tools to do regular maintenance, just did the shims a while ago which was a piece of cake, but don`t want to buy stuff that I will only use once eg. chain breaker etc. I have better things to spend money on.....:ride:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.:thumbsup:

Think I will go for an old style with the master link, as many of you have recommended. I will still take the swing arm off to remove the old chain as I want to give the bike a good clean and lube everything anyway.

I have enough tools to do regular maintenance, just did the shims a while ago which was a piece of cake, but don`t want to buy stuff that I will only use once eg. chain breaker etc. I have better things to spend money on.....:ride:

Just make sure you get a chain with the correct amount of links,if you dont have the tools to shorten it.Most come longer than you need.....

You can also ask the shop , that you buy the chain from , to cut it too length for you . Most of them will do this , just make sure you know the amount of links you want . And if you get a joining link at the same time , then all you will have to do is grind off the rivets on the old chain and knock out the pins , and bob`s your uncle , greg