Sign in to follow this  

Sooner or Later

Sooner or later I figured the transmission on my beloved 450x would bite the dust and today it did. Had neutrals and third gear only after hearing a horrible crunch and pop/ POW. That's all she wrote:cry:. Gimped it back to DesertKX500's house and noticed it was leaking some gear oil apparently around the CS seal. Got it home and there's so much metal in the gear box I had to keep clearing the drain hole with a wire to get the oil to drain. I have not had time to investigate further since I had to scramble to try and race ready the R for tomorrow's event. I'll try and post pictures of the damages as I start taking it all down. Tried to figure how many hours it has on it and we figured over 2000 easily. It was completely gone through part by part about 400 hours ago but the only gear box parts replaced then were the case bearings (needed a new crank then). Don't know if I'll be parting it out or repairing it but without seeing the damages I'm leaning towards fixing it. I would love a new bike but I can't think of any new bikes that are any better than the 450X....unless it's a new 450X:smirk:

Dang Coob...but I guess that was bound to happen sooner or later with as many hours you have on the bike. At least you have the R as backup for tomorrow :thumbsup:.

No regrets on the durability and longevity of the 450X transmission. Looks like the 450R will have to pinch hit for awhile.....Would be better if it had a wide ratio box, magic button, and Rekluse though.....I hate kicking that thing on dead engine starts but the motor is plenty strong and the re-worked suspension is excellent. Still not a worthy substitute for the 450X.

once you tear her down, let me know what parts you need. I have some from the 06 that seized on me.

i know what you mean, goin g thru the same thing with mine right now,mine only had 1st and second gears and had a horrible grinding noise also, after the tear down it sounded worse than what it was. broken drum and bad center fork and bearings.I can't complain i guess,got over 15k hard miles on it.:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your loss. (slow funeral music playing in background)

Some quick questions:

Did you fill with the recommended amount of oil or a full quart?

Did you regularly shift without using the clutch? (common on blipped downshifts)

Are you able to cycle through all the gear positions but only neutral and 3rd are usable, or is it neutral and then upshift gets you 3rd?

Did you fill with the recommended amount of oil or a full quart?

Full quart from day one. It has been run very low on transmission oil a couple of times due to cracked pistons blowing the oil out and leaking CS seals. It's eaten 2 OEM clutch baskets and a few clutch packs but it been run with the Rekluse mosty for the last couple of years and done great durability wise.

Did you regularly shift without using the clutch? (common on blipped downshifts)

I commonly shift with and without clutch. I'll speed shift and heel boot sometimes and sometimes the shifter gets jammed accidentally like when the foot is flailing around in rough stuff and one time I broke a clutch cable and had to roll off the gas and kick the sh!t out of it to get back the the truck.

Are you able to cycle through all the gear positions but only neutral and 3rd are usable, or is it neutral and then upshift gets you 3rd?

It has neutral and third. All the way down is neutral and up is third.

I might find some time to check it out more today:ride:

Feel your pain.

I say fix it.

Go through it all again and get another 1000 hrs.

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

I'm not disappointed because the thing lasted far langer than could be resonably expected even by XR reliability standards. I think fixing it is the right thing to do even if I decide to sell it afterwards to break even. :thumbsup::ride:

Ahhh that sucks!

... I know where your at however. Fond memories for sure. At least you were able to gimp it back, and not be towed. Or, you didn't go down on the asphalt at 3:30AM while being towed. DOH!

once you tear her down, let me know what parts you need. I have some from the 06 that seized on me.
Awesome, manx!

Me too... just let me know.

I've got most of it in a box... don't know what is what, but it might be helpfull.

Awesome, JJ. When your '05's went I figured mine couldn't be too far behind. I'm trying to figure out what she'll need and will start tearing down tonight but no more work on it 'til next week. Don't get rid of your parts just yet:lol::thumbsup: I'll be giving you a holler:ride:

CR500AF conversion??

hahaha... I wanted to do that to my '05 too.

However, I realized it would have taken me to another level (as I love my CR5 - and have ridden them for years and years) and I'd never have looked back at another thumper again. Being you have the R, that would be a very nice and fun bike to ride on occasion for a change of pace. Because, you know that 'pace' would rip your arms off!! :thumbsup:

In the most non sarcastic way possible.....I am play a violin and coming out of the fog you hear a bag pipe player coming ever closer as tear rolls down the cheek. Stay strong.....I told myself I would not do this......I said I would keep it together.....I cant...:thumbsup::cry::ride::cry::lol:

Well sucks, glad to hear your going to operate. Keep us posted.