Sign in to follow this  

'94 DR 125 battery or charging problem

My wife's '94 DR125 has a situation. The battery sat over winter with out a trickle charger. I don't know how old it is, but I am sure it is shot: it doesn't hold a charge. When I jump the battery and start the bike the voltage is about 7-8 volts. When I turn on the head light the voltage jumps to 10-11 volts! When I rev the bike with the head light on the voltage drops and the engine begins to sputter and it will die. If the light is off the engine revs fine but never builds more than 8 volts. The other odd thing is every once in awhile after the engine has idled 20 minutes or so the idle voltage without the head light on is at 10-11-12 volts, but it seams as though I cannot replicate this event.:thumbsup:

I feel confident that the rectifier is not the problem because the output voltage reads the same voltage as the battery and the AC voltage is roughly 3/4 of rectifier out put voltage.

So the questions are: Is the battery the source of this entire problem? Does the battery need close to 12 volts to charge the stator to out-put 12V? or is the charging system on the fritz too?

Thanx guys any help is appreciated.

Well since your battery can't reach 12V with a charger it is definitely bad. Replace battery first and then recheck voltages under operation again. I have had batteries with a completely dead cell that created all kinds of problems.

_