Sign in to follow this  

seized something

so i am tryig to get large bolt that runs through the frame engine and swingarm on my yz250f. i took the bolt off and no matter how hard i hit it with a hammer it wont move

The first thing i can think it is going to be is rust,first you can try is some WD-40 or Pb Blaster where the bearings are,if this does not work you can try to loosen your engine mounts,this may help to prevent any binding.

no i put wd 40 on all the exposed parts of bearings i have removved all other engine mounts and i am hitting on the shifter side

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

That badboy is rusted in there. Maybe lay the bike on its side overnight with the wd.

Quit banging on the end of the bolt. You're mushrooming it. It already looks like the edge mashed to where it won't go through the hole. Put a nut on the shaft when you beat on it until it starts moving.

Quit banging on the end of the bolt. You're mushrooming it. It already looks like the edge mashed to where it won't go through the hole. Put a nut on the shaft when you beat on it until it starts moving.

+1

you DO NOT want to mushroom that bolt... I did that one time to my hub spacer while trying to change the bearings in my front rim and end up costing me 100$. I was very very mad I made such a stupid mistake. theres nothing more frustrating than finally getting it to move just to find out it wont fit through its own hole because youve mushroomed it :ride:

like klxd said, put a nut on it. lay it on its side, let wd-40 sit on it for a bit, and hit it with a 10-15 lb sledge hammer :thumbsup:

i dont know what up with it. I let wd 40 sit in it propped over for 24 hours put the bolt on enough to get a solid thread and then got my 20 pound sledge hammer and nothing, wont move a mm

WD 40 isn't gonna help you much. It's not designed for doing stuff like what you're trying to use it for. you want to hit it with some Penetrating oil. Try Marvel Mystery Oil or Liquid Wrench Penetrating and Lubricating spray (those are the one's i've tried, there may be better ones). That stuff is designed to seep into places that wd 40 just won't go. it works great on stuck nuts and axles and crap. They make a bunch of generic types too. Put plenty on and let it soak in for a good long time.

WD 40 isn't gonna help you much. It's not designed for doing stuff like what you're trying to use it for. you want to hit it with some Penetrating oil. Try Marvel Mystery Oil or Liquid Wrench Penetrating and Lubricating spray (those are the one's i've tried, there may be better ones). That stuff is designed to seep into places that wd 40 just won't go. it works great on stuck nuts and axles and crap. They make a bunch of generic types too. Put plenty on and let it soak in for a good long time.

^ what he said +1

also, if you know someone with a shop press.

that bolt has a tendency to sieze on all bikes persistance is the key just keep soaking with wd 40. those bearings should be replaced once a year at least to prevent this happening again more often depending on the frequency you ride

wd40 is not going to work. Get some PBLASTER. lay bike on its side, and spray the bolt and let it sit overnight.

Next, buy a new bolt because you are going to mangle the threads and the end of that one being that it is so stuck. Heat that sucker up with a torch, or a heatgun and smack it. The heat, pblaster, and smacking it should break it loose. The bolt on my KTM was frozen solid and that is all that worked. Hit it with a 5# sledge HARD. I used a socket extention from an impact set and put it inside a metal pipe so a bit of the end was sticking out. Then set that pipe over the swingarm bolt. So basically the pipe acts as a holder for the socket extention so you can get a good swing without risk of smashing your hand. Took me 3 full swings with the sledge to get that thing to budge about 1/8 inch. Then hit it with more heat and pblaster and got it out. Bearings were shot, the end of the swingarm bolt was toast.