Sign in to follow this  

KLX450R sag setting..??

I am seting up the bike for my son to race.. not sure what the sag on the rear needs to be at. also is the sag measured from axle to fender or ground. suspension is stock. any information would be greatly appreciated.

I just put a new race tech spring on mine this week. Set the sag per the instructions. Recomendations were 95-100mm or 3.75-4in as measured from the rear axle.

I set it right in the middle.

Rode it today, and it felt really good. Leaves plenty of travel for the big bumps.

BDKLX is right on. 95-100mm is good race/rider sag. Be sure it is measured in full gear. Then go back and check the bike or static sag after adjusting the race sag. If the bike sag falls between 25-30mm after adjusting race sag then your spring rate is fine.

Then hit all the other adjustments, took me a dozen rides to adjust till I was happy. I gain 10lbs more and I will need a new spring. HA! Damn beer.

Keep in mind that you'll never be able to set the sag correctly, unless you have installed a spring to match the rider's weight, first. The stock spring is suitable for very lightweight riders only.

If you try to set the sag with a spring that's too soft for the rider's weight, cranking down the spring past the usable range of adjustment won't solve anything. Believe it or not, the spring only has about a 1/2 inch of usable adjustment range, despite all those threads.

Go here and check for the spring you need, using Race Tech's online spring calculator.

And here's an excellent tutorial on how to set sag properly, after you have the correct spring installed.

:thumbsup:

Nice! Like that page better, going to save that link.

Thanks guys.. the info you provided is great! gonna get is set and see if the bike handling improves. my understanding is the bike, stock, has springs for a 135lb rider.. my kid is 137 with full gear. so i think we are in good shape. appreciate the input.