It's rockin and knockin, HELP!

Hi,

I'm new to the site and wanted to know if anyone out there can help me. i recently purchased a 1990 xr250r for cruising around the trails. when i bought it it sounded like the valves were out of wack so i adjusted them. they stopped ticking and i got more bottom out of it, but the noise i heard now was more of a knock. it was there before i adjusted, just not as noticeable. does anyone know what the problem is or could give a suggestion on what to do.

It's going to be difficult to trouble shoot a noise that we can't hear.

You're going to have to be more descriptive about this sound. Does make noise all of the time, only when riding in gear, only on acceleration, only on deceleration, when braking?

I had one that made a noise even when coasting,,, and the motor not running. (turned out to be the chain roller. After market, Hard plastic)

Of course... I'm not saying I can diagnose this anyway. ?

Thats a good point Perc. Is it making the knock when just idling sitting still ? If no try riding it down the road , pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch and see if the noise is still there with the engine not running.

Do you have a camera and can record the sound ?

thanks for all the replies. i hear the knock or rattle most when it's idiling. i thought it was the bottom end but i took a screw driver and stuck it to the jug and it sounds like it's in the top end. someone told it could be a problem with the cam bearings? anyone?

thanks for all the replies. i hear the knock or rattle most when it's idiling. i thought it was the bottom end but i took a screw driver and stuck it to the jug and it sounds like it's in the top end. someone told it could be a problem with the cam bearings? anyone?

It will be easy to pop the cap off and inspect the cam bearings.?