Sign in to follow this  

Sag vs. Bottom Out

Hello I am curious about riding style/full use of suspension vs. setting sag and forgetting it... If I set my sag according to recomendations, but NEVER feel my suspension bottom out, am I then NOT utilizing the full potential of the bikes suspension? Obviously riding style, terrain etc. affect these things but am wondering what your take might be... thanks.

If you don't set sag correctly, then you are not utilizing the full potential of the bikes handling.

there is great write up in an old bike manual I have it goes something like

increase prelaod to stop bottoming if your on full prelaod and still botoming get a stiffer spring

reduce preload to soften the feel if your on minium preload and its too harsh get a softer spring

when you find the middle ground then worry about the sag I couldn't tell you what mine is

+/- 0.2mm prelaod on the shock spring screws up the bike but it won't show up in the sag measurements.

so my 2 cents just fiddle and test no rules :thumbsup:

If you don't set sag correctly, then you are not utilizing the full potential of the bikes handling.

I'd tend to disagree, as long as front and rear sag are both modified equally... plus you have the further adjustment of sliding fork tubes up and down - but I am not an expert. I come from the bicycle world and it works like this: Set up sag as a starting point, then based on riding style adjust further so that you feel bottom once or twice per ride - now you know you are getting the most benefit out of your alloted travel. Then you can tweak the front or rear (only the front OR rear) a little bit more if you want to alter handling. Plus, the "bikes handling" is simply the way the factory likes or recommends, I am sure not everyone want's their bike to handle exactly the same way.

So - how often do you all like feel bottom on your motorbikes??

If I set my sag according to recomendations, but NEVER feel my suspension bottom out, am I then NOT utilizing the full potential of the bikes suspension? Obviously riding style, terrain etc. affect these things but am wondering what your take might be... thanks.
Simply dont adjust rear sag to control suspension travel. That's not what that adjustment is there for. The spring rates, linkage ratio, ride height and valving are closely matched - in a good handling dirt bike. Speed up your dampening and/or soften your springs to use more suspension travel. Springs and front/rear heights should be setup for your rider weight in a central riding position. If the rear is too high or low, then the bike will turn like a pig. In the zone and it's all too easy. If possible, test on very smooth ground so the dampening adjustments are mostly ignored. Shock LSC works nicely to control rear swat and turning behavior in corner exits.

Don't confuse spring rate with damping rate. Springs are there to hold you and the bike up at the proper ride height. If you have the correct springs, and don't bottom (or even if you do bottom), it's then a damping issue, not a spring issue.

I'd tend to disagree, as long as front and rear sag are both modified equally...

Yes, if you raise or lower the front end you should do the same to the rear.

I come from the bicycle world and it works like this: Set up sag as a starting point, then based on riding style adjust further so that you feel bottom once or twice per ride

Sag is not meant to be adjusted to compensate for the wrong spring rates. It should be used to balance the bike. Spring rates and damping settings are what matter when you hit bumps, sure you can adjust sag and get a tiny bit more or less bottoming resistance, but it will not work well with the damping and handling on most bikes, as the bike will sit too high or low in the damping range.