Sign in to follow this  

No 93 XR650L no Spark at the Plug and No voltage to the coil

I checked via search and did not find bike specific stuff so here it goes. I have no voltage at the coils black and Yellow wire. Key in kick, stand up, run button on. I checked the kill switch on the Xr650L and the switch is good. I checked the wire as it goes towards the battery it all seems good. No voltage coming out from the regulator to the coil is that the circuit? Or is it key switch to stator then coil? I am a bit convinced it is a bad regulator??? One of my main questions is how do I know if it is the voltage regulator or the stator? Thanks for all of your help with my bike.

I checked via search and did not find bike specific stuff so here it goes. I have no voltage at the coils black and Yellow wire. Key in kick, stand up, run button on. I checked the kill switch on the Xr650L and the switch is good. I checked the wire as it goes towards the battery it all seems good. No voltage coming out from the regulator to the coil is that the circuit? Or is it key switch to stator then coil? I am a bit convinced it is a bad regulator??? One of my main questions is how do I know if it is the voltage regulator or the stator? Thanks for all of your help with my bike.

The voltage regulator only controls the charging system...

You will have no voltage at the black/yellow wire with just the key on...

The way the ignition system works on the XRL is one wire comes outta the CDI to the coil,,the other wires just goes to ground,,probably under the seat..

Put a test light between the two wires and the light should flash when cranking it over with the starter...you will not have a constant 12v positive at the coil...

If the test light will not flash,,take the ground lead of your test light,and put it on the negative battery terminal...put the test light probe into the wire at the coil with the yellow stripe...stand up,kill switch on,in neutral..cranking it should flash the test light...that`s the hot wire from ther CDI....

If it does not flash,,take the CDI,,flip it over and smack it fairly hard with a screwdriver handle on the back of it while cranking..does it start fire then...if it does let me know...you need a CDI and i am repairing these for free,,you just pay the postage....

Now if wacking it doesn`t get it going let me know and i`ll give you a test procedure to find out what the problem is...

Brian

Brian is right; the coil is powered by the CDI and the CDI doesn't get any power from the regulator/rectifier unless the engine is spinning. Early 650Ls are known for having weak CDIs, so that's what I would suspect first.

If it does not flash,,take the CDI,,flip it over and smack it fairly hard with a screwdriver handle on the back of it while cranking..does it start fire then...if it does let me know...you need a CDI and i am repairing these for free,,you just pay the postage....

How are you sealing the cases back up?

Cool thanks Brianhare I will take out the CDI and do that wack test. I will have to get a new gasket from Johnson Woods to seal it all back up. Unless you have a suggestion to seal it all back up. I assume I will need some oil to fill it too or is there no oil where the CDI is??

It is CDI is [EDIT] in the battery box[/EDIT]. There is no oil and no gasket. It is potted in epoxy and the back of the enclosure has to be cut off to access the solder-side of the circuit board. That's why I asked about sealing it back up after repair.

Edited by HeadTrauma
Just the facts, ma'am.

Brian is right; the coil is powered by the CDI and the CDI doesn't get any power from the regulator/rectifier unless the engine is spinning. Early 650Ls are known for having weak CDIs, so that's what I would suspect first.

How are you sealing the cases back up?

You only need to take the back off...and if you cut it right you have about 1/8 inch gap between the rear cover you cut off and the board...so i`ve been using silicone,,,you can use epoxy...put i feel silicone is better for moisture/vibration and we all know it won`t conduct electricity..the original potting seems to be a foam rubber of sorts,,and doesn`t stick to the board real hard...but it`s a pain getting it to release from the solder contacts..

Brian

Cool thanks Brianhare I will take out the CDI and do that wack test. I will have to get a new gasket from Johnson Woods to seal it all back up. Unless you have a suggestion to seal it all back up. I assume I will need some oil to fill it too or is there no oil where the CDI is??

HOLD ON WITH THAT:banghead::thumbsup::banghead:

The CDI is in the BATTERY COMPARTMENT...............

What you are referring to is the pulse generator which is in the right cover against the inner crankcase....

Brian

Oh ok. Mine is a 1993 XR650L. On my bike the battery is in a box on the left just above and to the left of the rear tire so is the cdi attached to the frame under the seat or in the battery compartment? Under the seat there there is a clump of wire connectors? I was thinking pulse generator you are right earlier, is the CDI also called the ICM or (ignition control module)?? In my book I cant find DDI anywhere. So glad the board is here to help me as when it comes to electrical on these bikes I am (obviously) not that good. Thanks again I will take it out tomorrow.

Edited by searth
Correction

Oh ok. Mine is a 1993 XR650L. On my bike the battery is in a box on the left just above and to the left of the rear tire so is the cdi attached to the frame under the seat or in the battery compartmentm where there is a clump of wire connectors? I was thinking pulse generator you are right earlier, So glad the board is here to help me as when it comes to electrical on these bikes I am (obviously) not that good. Thanks again I will take it out tomorrow.

Your bike is exactly like all 1993 -2010 in that department,,,the CDI is in the battery box just after the battery to the right when looking at it....

Brian

^ +1. I should have looked at the manual instead of assuming it was in the XR600 location above the airbox.

You only need to take the back off...and if you cut it right you have about 1/8 inch gap between the rear cover you cut off and the board...so i`ve been using silicone,,,you can use epoxy...put i feel silicone is better for moisture/vibration and we all know it won`t conduct electricity..the original potting seems to be a foam rubber of sorts,,and doesn`t stick to the board real hard...but it`s a pain getting it to release from the solder contacts..

Brian

That's what I figured you were doing. I agree that RTV silicone is probably a better choice than epoxy. Epoxies containing metal like JB Weld are definitely not dielectric and silicone can more easily be removed if necessary.

I went out there tapped the CDI with a screwdriver and it sparked right up. Then of course I took it for a ride in the neighborhood. Thanks so much TT board members!!

I went out there tapped the CDI with a screwdriver and it sparked right up. Then of course I took it for a ride in the neighborhood. Thanks so much TT board members!!

Yup,,as Thumpnred said it will not last,,either send it to me and i`ll repair it for ya,free,,or get a new one,,,wackin it is just a temporary thing,,just to find out if that was the problem..

B

Searth,

Your PM inbox is full, so I can't reply to the PM you sent me yesterday. Clear it out and PM me so we can talk about the parts you requested. Thanks, Marshal

Yeh I will definately fix it. I just took it for a short ride around the neighborhood. Tempted to bring it to Rowher Flats tomorrow but neh. I will ride my little XT225 instead.

It is now fixed thanks to Brianhare from the TT board. I sent it in and he soldered it back up and now it is good as gold.

It is now fixed thanks to Brianhare from the TT board. I sent it in and he soldered it back up and now it is good as gold.

:thumbsup:........COOL.....anyone needing this done just PM me or somethin,,i like helpin guys out...it`s free like i`ve said,,just pay postage:thumbsup:

B

The voltage regulator only controls the charging system...

You will have no voltage at the black/yellow wire with just the key on...

The way the ignition system works on the XRL is one wire comes outta the CDI to the coil,,the other wires just goes to ground,,probably under the seat..

Put a test light between the two wires and the light should flash when cranking it over with the starter...you will not have a constant 12v positive at the coil...

If the test light will not flash,,take the ground lead of your test light,and put it on the negative battery terminal...put the test light probe into the wire at the coil with the yellow stripe...stand up,kill switch on,in neutral..cranking it should flash the test light...that`s the hot wire from ther CDI....

Now if wacking it doesn`t get it going let me know and i`ll give you a test procedure to find out what the problem is...

Brian

I have a 2000 XR650L and I have a no-spark condition. I am showing voltage at the coil but it goes away when cranking and doesn't flash. I tried wacking on the CDI just for fun:D but still no spark. I would appreciate any help or other testing advice. I do not have a manual. I have checked, sidestand switch, clutch switch, run switch and all are good and I have a good ground going to the CDI.

Thanks in advance

So did searth ever figure out his problem ? And what fixed it ?

I have the same problem on my 95 xr650L. My bad I just seen it was his cdi box. I replaced my cdi box, still no luck. ignition coil tested fine, now leaning towards pulse gen. coil.

So did searth ever figure out his problem ? And what fixed it ?

I have the same problem on my 95 xr650L. My bad I just seen it was his cdi box. I replaced my cdi box, still no luck. ignition coil tested fine, now leaning towards pulse gen. coil.

Pulse gen is hard test.......but.....if you get a new/used one you can test to see if a new one will help without pulling the clutchcover:thumbsup:

Unplug the old PG at the downtube...plug the new one in........key on,in neutral.......ground the new PG to the engine...and wave,back and forth a big screwdriver blade or something steel really close to the pickup (magnetic part)........every time the screwdriver passes the pole on the PG it`ll send a signal to the CDI to fire.......just pull the plug wire and put in a plug aimed your way so you can see if it fires or not..........

If it fires then you gotta pull the clutch cover and look.......i had a guy that the non-tensioner cam guide rail broke and came down and cut the wires off the Pulse Generator...

If the new/used PG does not fire then you are wasting time pulling the clutch cover..

Did you check your safety switches????????? pull both wires on the clutch switch and ground them...if it fires you have a safety switch or wiring problem

B

• Like 1