Sign in to follow this  

3.2 IMS and shroud fitment

Finally getting around to working on my bike, and installing a new 3.2 IMS tank i've had kicking around for a while. I was extremely excited to get it on and use it this season, especially for supermoto street use.

I was bummed to see that the shrouds are not really close to fitting at all. I understand its aftermarket part and it wont be perfect, but i dont think i could get the shrouds to fit without out some pretty good cutting or elongating of the holes. I'd rather buy some aftermarket plastics to hack up then my oem ones if thats the case.

Has anybody else experienced this with the 3.2?

we have two bikes with the 3.2 and OEM shrouds.. yes they dont go on easy, as it is a bigger tank and the plasic needs to bend, but just get all four screws in (maybe starting with the radiator one cause it always seems to be the toughest on our bikes) and just start them a little bit and tighten them in intervals.. it is a little tough, but it shouldnt require cutting

OEM shrouds work fine with an IMS 3.2 tank. The best way to install the tank is to mount the shrouds to the tank when its off the bike. This will be the last time you mess with the shroud/tank bolts till you need to replace the shrouds again. When you remove the tank from here on out you'll be removing the shrouds with it.

Next, install the tank/shrouds on the bike by loosly threading the upper bolts to the bracket near the steering stem. Then bolt the lower shroud bolts to the radiator, again leaving them somewhat loose. Last, by hand pressure only, install the aft shroud bolts to the frame (you may have to press aft on the radiator to get the bolt to line up with the insert on the frame). Once you get all the bolts threaded you can then go around and tighten eveything up.

OEM shrouds work fine with an IMS 3.2 tank. The best way to install the tank is to mount the shrouds to the tank when its off the bike. This will be the last time you mess with the shroud/tank bolts till you need to replace the shrouds again. When you remove the tank from here on out you'll be removing the shrouds with it.

ok, thats the way i've been doing it when removing the stock tank thus far.

Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup:

after the initial " hard fitment " they seem to mould over time and they fit perfectly after that!