Sign in to follow this  

klx300r a good purchase??

So i started from a pw 80, to a ttr125, to a ktm200, which i still kick myself for selling to get money for a car, and now i'm sick of riding the old mans qaud so its time to get another dirtbike. I found an extremely good deal on a 2008 klx300r and was interested but wanted to know what you all thought of the bike, powerwise, suspension wise, handling ect.. I would rather get another 2 stroke but i have plans on making this bike street legal as well. Would this be a good bike for that?

You had better check real close. From what I can find, Kawi didn't make a 2008 KLX300. 2007 is the last model year. Maybe made in 2007 and sold in 2008?

Anyway, what type of riding besides the street will you be doing?

Ride on

Brewster

You might be right on it being a 2007, but wanted to do street and then have a different set of wheels and tires for pretty heavy trial riding and hitting a few jumps every now and then

It will take a couple minor mods to wake up the engine.

Add Dynojet carb kit or replace the stock carb with a pumper.

Open up the exhaust for better flow.........but NOT excesive noise.

And the stock suspension needs work as it is not balanced front to rear.

Get the correct springs for your weight.

With your experience on the KTM200, you may be disappointed in the KLX300

Have you checked to see how many hoops you'll have to jump through to get it street legal?

Ride on

Brewster

That's what I am doing...:thumbsup:..Told my mech to get the 300kit

well i'm getting such a deal on this 300 that i cant pass up the offer, I'm good friends with the owner and he jus wants it gone since he got a 09 v-rod. I know its not going to be a comparison to my ktm200 but that might be a good thing because i started to get a little ballzy on that bike. Going to go pick up the 300 in about an hour though, cant wait to be on a bike again :thumbsup:

Since your on your way to pick it up be happy with it and don't look back. Like all bikes you will hear a lot of bad and a lot of good about it. Sounds like your getting a great deal on this bike. Think about the money you have paid vs the fun factor you are instored for and you will be happy about your purchase. The KLX300 is what it is, no MX bike or the latest super fast XXX/RRR model, just a fun modern trai bike. Give it some TLC, a few mod's and have fun!

Its much better than the TTR125 from top to bottom. When plated it will make up for it not being a KTM 200 and will open up a lot more riding opertunities. Its good to hear that your back on two wheels again!

For those who KNOW, does the KLX300r have a registerable title? I'm in FL and from what I gather, as long as it's not an "offroad use only" title it can be registered with the legal equipment. I'm in the same boat, found a '99 KLX300 for less than $1k in good running order and wanted to make a trail toy/motard bike. So if it'll just take blinkers, mirrors and a motard kit with DOT tires, I think I'll get it. If it it has an offroad only title then I'll pass. The owner seems confused and uncertain if it's registerable, so I was hoping you guys could tell me. Thanks.

You'll have to check with your state.........different rules for different states.

Here in CAL. we can no longer convert dirt bikes to street bikes.

Ride on

Brewster

Call your dot or state patrol, they can tell you.

In Washington state the same law of "offroad use only" cannot be converted to road legal. The registration on my 2001 klx 300R says "offroad use only". And unless it is registered in another state and converted to road legal, I cannot make mine road legal.

Pretty much the same here in FL. It is whatever the title says it is. If it isn't an OHV only title, it can be plated no matter what the bike looks like, you'll just get fined on the road (no inspections). But if it DOES say OHV use only, that's where the road ends. I just found out from the owner it DOES say 'OHV use only' in the odometer line. So I guess I won't be getting this bike, that stinks.