DALLASDRZ

2005 525exc ?

looking for input on the 05' 525exc are they good bikes ? found one (plated)

with 18hrs/387 miles....sellers asking 4 grand . i just dont know enough about these bike , trying upgrade from drz400.

• Like 1

Yes they are, if something happened to my 2007 525exc, I would not hestiate in replacing it with either a 2004 or 2005 model.

It will do all that your drz can do plus much more ( eg. more difficult off road terrain ) due to the ktm having more power and less weight.

• Like 1

Great bike, i have an 05 525 exc. Just be ready to change your starter gears/intermidiate gears. This will set you back a couple hundred right off the bat. Its 100% failure rate on the 05. Mine failed after about 20 hrs. I came from a drz- e model to this bike. HUGE difference. Lots more maintenance but you'll get used to it. That price you said is decent deal. I paid $3500 for an 05 with 12.5 hrs/200 miles. It had sat for a few years so I had to clean the carb, and installed a sicass racing kit to make it legal in my state.

• Like 2

Yes Buy the KTM. I has been holding off for almost 4 years now. Just found a 2001 at $2k with a desert tank & $1,100 of suspension work. Been sitting in a garage since 2004. I still have to put a baja kit for the street on it. I pick mine up on Tuesday here in Las Vegas

JD

You gotta jump fast on those i called the guy this morning(he posted yesterday afternoon) and said he was holding it for a guy for a week . But if the guy doesnt come through hell give me a call. He was firm on the price.

Oh well...

$4,000 is quite a lot for an '05 KTM 525 EXC, however if it's in as good shape as it sounds like and since it's plated it's worth it. Note that the high/low Bluebook values are $4,160/$2,855. You might try offering him $3,600 cash and go from there. Have you actually looked at the bike and ridden it?

Edited by Chas_M

Yes i was going to offer #### (incase he's watching) he said the bike's was lowered also (springs front&back ) dont know if that would affect any thing ? im 6'1"...

if you're 6'1 youll definitely want to raise it back up. Im 5'9 and i dont have any problems riding my stock heigh 525

• Like 1

i would offer him less because you will need to raise it back to stock, at 6'1" lowered is not good. cant hurt to offer him less.

i agree , just have too see if the other guy backs out , but will keep a look out for other 525's around that year since everyone has good things to say......

• Like 1

Awsome bike, love my 05 525 SMR and my 05 450 EXC was a blast to ride on and off road.

E-start is a plus in my book. Fully road legal? Lights, horn, etc?

4k is average around here for that year and model. Some even a little more.

If you have sales tax in your state use it as a price negotiation tool.

It's steep here, add 10% plus title transfer, tabs and DOL fees.

Look for pitch black oil,filthy air filter (just pull left side panel off) and worn rear sprocket hard riding and/or poor service.

Good luck , you'll love the power!

<a  href=ktm09002.jpg' alt='ktm09002.jpg'>

On 2/28/2010 at 12:10 AM, dudenstumpy said:

Yes they are, if something happened to my 2007 525exc, I would not hestiate in replacing it with either a 2004 or 2005 model.

Have an '04 w/over 300 hours with oil changing changing every 6-7 hours since new, filters twice a year. Literally Zero power train defects. BUY ONE

Wow only 18 hours, I had an 05 400 basically the same bike they are very very good .

The only thing that is weak as far as I’m concerned is the soft valves, they need adjustment every 50-70 hours something like that.. The more Dust  you Ride in the sooner the adjustment will be needed.

Mine went about 400 hours  before I took it apart, it needed valves and rings quite bad.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2010 at 6:20 PM, DALLASDRZ said:

looking for input on the 05' 525exc are they good bikes ? found one (plated)

with 18hrs/387 miles....sellers asking 4 grand . i just dont know enough about these bike , trying upgrade from drz400.

I have that exact same bike also plated.  It has been a great bike and I have zero regrets buying it.

I'm very skeptical about the 18 hour claim on a 13 year old bike.  Is the dude the original owner?  Does he have other bikes and this was a spare?  I would be asking questions as to why the hours are so low.

I would be looking at things like the clutch cover, foot pegs, shifter lever, stator cover.  Do these ALL look brand new.  Another thing, with those kind of miles, the front tire should be original and likely cracked.  It's difficult to change tires by hand without scratching rims at least a little.  Look for evidence of this that shows only one tire change.

Basically make sure all the physical evidence on the bike and his story match the low hour claim and therefore his price.

• Haha 1

Great bikes.  I've got over 30k miles (real close to 1000 hours) on my '07 525.

05 was the last year before some changes in the motor - starter gear and valve guides were upgraded.  The newer bikes have a removable part on the clutch cover for the clutch pack (I've never used it). 

Otherwise .... for the low miles on it, i'd expect a little higher price.  I think 4k is definitely on the high side of "higher price" though, 3500-ish would be a decent deal if it's in real clean shape.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2010 at 4:08 PM, DALLASDRZ said:

Yes i was going to offer #### (incase he's watching) he said the bike's was lowered also (springs front&back ) dont know if that would affect any thing ? im 6'1"...

if its been lowered, and you want to raise it back up, that could be a bit of a mess, cause you don't know exactly how it was lowered. There are different methods.

• Like 1