Sign in to follow this  

can't figure out my jetting...

so I've got an 05 CRF450R with an FMF exhaust and twinair powerflow kit and I've got a JD jet kit installed per specs given to me by the lady @ JD. nothing else done to the engine and I cant seem to get rid of a hanging idle. I'm in southern ca and ride mostly at sea level or close to it. I've gone all the way up to a 48 pilot and the lady at JD jetting says that there's no reason I should have a jet that big and that i've probably got an air leak. I just got done replacing the air boot and didn't find anything wrong with it. any ideas?

actually it's more of an erratic idle than a hanging one.... it runs great everywhere but at idel. any ideas?

well i've got the square side down and it's been that way long before I had the idle issues. if i remember right, the issue kind of happened on it's own, it wasn't following any kind of service or anything like that

yeah I did and it was pretty much right on the money. although it did seem like it was lacking some compression when I kick it. the engine's only got 18 hrs on it since a top and bottom end. I'll check it again though

ok just got done working on the bike. had the carb apart and everything looked good. jets were clean, hot start moves nicely, slide was installed square end down and the seal between the slide and vacuum release plate was good as new. checked valves and they were all within spec. auto decomp was a bit out of adjustment which i fixed and now the kickstarter feels a little more solid. After buttoning everything back up it fired up 3rd kick or so and the idle problems started all over again. This was with a 45 pilot, zero air leaks that I could find, and timing right on the money. The header pipe was glowing within about 45 seconds and when I shut the bike off it shot a pretty little blue flame out the back. Sooo I put a 48 pilot in it and was able to get the idle under control on the stand until I took it up and down the street and then the idle shot right back up. I was able to completely seat the pilot screw and the bike would still run, but the idle issues still persist. I'm at a loss friends.....

If you had an air leak you would beable to find it with some carb cleaner wouldn't you?

that's what I'm told, but I've sprayed starting fluid at all the joints and as far as I can tell there isn't a leak