Sign in to follow this  

Need Your Feedback - 2002 YZF426 vs 2002 CRF450

Hey All,

So I've riden 2 strokers my entire life and have recently decided to venture into the 4stroke world after riding a buddy's new YZF450. WOW what a ride.

I wanted to see if any of you more experience folks could offer me a little advice. I've never shopped in this arena and don't have a clue what to watch out for and what's a good price. So if you don't mind, a little feedback would be helpful.

First off, I'm a trail and forest rider. Hollister, Forest Hill, Carnagy, Stonyford, etc.

So I looked at two stock bikes today. Both with low hours, and both VERY clean (like new actually).

One was a 2002 yzf426 and the other a 2002 CRF450. Both are asking $2500.00 bucks. Is this a high, low or about right price?

Do either of these bikes have known issues that can or can't be resolved? Only thing I've heard;

426 is hard to start hot and can be fixed with an 03 cam

450 has a problem with valves stretching and losing the seat, can be fixed with stiffer springs and checking the clearance often.

Any truth to these or is there more I don't know?

So in short, for $2500 are either of these bad boys worth purchasing or should I be shopping for a newer WR or XR. The green sticker is an issue being I'm in Cali. and these are both 02 with green stickers.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey All,

So I've riden 2 strokers my entire life and have recently decided to venture into the 4stroke world after riding a buddy's new YZF450. WOW what a ride.

I wanted to see if any of you more experience folks could offer me a little advice. I've never shopped in this arena and don't have a clue what to watch out for and what's a good price. So if you don't mind, a little feedback would be helpful.

First off, I'm a trail and forest rider. Hollister, Forest Hill, Carnagy, Stonyford, etc.

So I looked at two stock bikes today. Both with low hours, and both VERY clean (like new actually).

One was a 2002 yzf426 and the other a 2002 CRF450. Both are asking $2500.00 bucks. Is this a high, low or about right price?

Do either of these bikes have known issues that can or can't be resolved? Only thing I've heard;

450 has a problem with valves stretching and losing the seat, can be fixed with stiffer springs and checking the clearance often.

Any truth to these or is there more I don't know?

So in short, for $2500 are either of these bad boys worth purchasing or should I be shopping for a newer WR or XR. The green sticker is an issue being I'm in Cali. and these are both 02 with green stickers.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hrmm, I knew quite a few people with early CRF450s, I'd really stay away from it (especially @ 2500?? more like 1500...). Don't know much about the 426, but if that's the only problem then it sounds like an easy fix.

So, between those two the 426 but not @ 2500 no matter how new it is.

the 426 is terrible to restart hot, and without the auto decomp it is a real bear. I would stay away from the 426.

a buddy of mine had an 03 426 and it was a blast when it was running. 1 stall and you'll be sittin for at leat 10 minutes tryin to start her back up. it also liked to kick you back when trying to start it. 2500 is a bit steep for both bikes i would ask to go down to 2000 at the most maybe a bit less even

Not true. I have a 2001 YZ426F and it is not hard to start hot or cold. The 03 exhaust cam is a little more aggressive but mainly features the Auto Decompression feature. Allowing you to kick start the bike without manually using the compression releif. The YZ426F is a great machine produced from 2000-2002. Most prefer the 01-02 for the updated valves (Titanium over SS) and smoother clutch operation, but they are all great. As far as price goes...I stole mine a little over a year ago for 1k. 2500 is a little too high, look for 1800-2000 as previously stated. I can't speak much for the red bike..kinda biased towards the blue..off road anyway.

yz 426 for sure

the old crf 450's had valves issues and the 426 was great

it is a yamaha after all

chuck in a hotcam and its a pretty good bike in my opinion

i have a 01 yz 250f which is esenssialy the same bike but a 250cc and its very good in my opinion

you can buy way newer with 2,500 my brother just picked up a 2006 yz450f for 2,400 and the bike is super clean and runs great so my opinion is try to buy as new as you can with the money your working with..and as mentioned the 426 is a biatch to start hot

yz 426 for sure

the old crf 450's had valves issues and the 426 was great

it is a yamaha after all

chuck in a hotcam and its a pretty good bike in my opinion

i have a 01 yz 250f which is esenssialy the same bike but a 250cc and its very good in my opinion

+1:thumbsup:

The Yamaha is the Reliability King! Super tough motors.

I bought a '99 400F new in '99, and adjusted the valves ONCE (2 years ago) and they were barely out of spec.

i have an 02 crf.. the motor in it is pretty strong, pulls longer then the yzf a tad harder then the yzf but they did have a few issues with the early crf valves, due to valve/seat material and a faulty airbox seal

I also have a 02 crf 450 , bout it new. Great bike , valves can go south , but once they do put s.s. valves in and you will be good. If the yz valves go , hope you have lots of money. And the honda is way easy to work on.

Once you put SS valves in the Honda, you shouldn't have any trouble with good basic maintenance. The 426 is a reliable machine, but its a tank. Replacing valves is alot cheaper than trying to get rid of the heavy feel the 426 has.

I love my YZ426. The previous owner changed the cam and it kick over like a newer 450. The YZ 426 is an awesome bike and I would highly recommend one to you. Just do the mod. Both bikes are great, my brother has an 02 CRF 450R and loves it. JUst don't pay over 2k for either bike.

2,500 is too much for either of those, but remember the asking price is always more than the selling price so negotiate. There seems to be alot of talk about the 426 being hard to start. This is probably true when you are new to the bike, but once you learn the secret handshake, it's very easy to start. Hot or cold.:banana:

I got my '01 426 for 1800 this past Jan. My bud has an 04 CRF 450 with a fresh top end and I still smoke him!

i had a 01 426 yeah a lot of people have a hard time to start them but theres a trick to it and once you get the hang of it you will love it its a great bike

I have an '01 426 and starts 1 st kick when hot with out the hot start. If your 426 is dialed in then it will start right up. Love mine.....

'02 426 here. Absolutely cracking bike.

Nip over to the 426 section on the forum and have a look. Most folks love them.

Can't speak for the Honda as I've never tried it, but I have always had Honda road bikes and love them, so I like to think I'm not prejudiced!

hey there! I came in here looking for the same answer. I have an 02 CRF 450 and bought it from a friend who just got an 01-02 YZ426. We haven't rode the YZ yet but I was wondering the same thing. My 450 has the stock cam and valves in it and I just recently rebuilt the top-end, valve chain, and tensioner. My bike starts first kick just about every time....it starts easy when hot and when it's been laid over. It pulls just as hard as my cousins 07 CRF 450. So as far as reliability issues you have to take that as a case-by-case scenario. Any bike that is almost 10 years old is going to have a lot of different stories. You can't listen to one guy who blows away hondas with his yam and go with that, and vice versa. You should ride both and go with the one you like better. I have only stuck with honda and yamaha, both are a lil different, but both are what I preferr. My 98 YZ125 was lightyears faster then a friends 03 RM125. At the same time, my current CR125 is a dog compared to my old 98 YZ.....but....is more fun to ride! So what do you go with ya know?

So....ride both, pick the one you personaly like better.