Sign in to follow this  

Honda FT500 a good bike?

Yes....those were good little cruisers.

Based on the XL500 engine. Really reliable and handles great.

Many old XR owners liked those....to swap the engine for the e-start.

If it's clean it's well worth the price.

If it at least runs.....it's worth it.

Thanks for the input, I'm sure I could get it for less. I have never had a street bike. But have always wanted one.

Some dude in my apartment complex had one. It was his only transportation for many years.

Then again the XL500 I had was my only transportation for many years.

Mine held up with dirt bashing and street abuse, the frame wore out after 40K+ miles. Amazingly the engine outlasted the bike.

If you get it, be careful if you make any changes. The CV carb doesn't like any changes to the exhaust.

If you pipe it, you'll have to mod the carb also.

One fun thing, those bikes make for great wheelie machines.

I found the parts it needs on ebay for pretty cheap. I won't mod it. I just want a fun street bike on the cheap.

Great bike,if the motor was somewhat taken care of. Me and the "former"wife went on long road trip into Canada.She had the Honda i had a SR yamaha. Great week long trip on those little bikes. Did learn something about the Honda Ascott,never push that wire into the case on the right side at all.It will rub on the clutch and and stop running at the worst moment.Luckily we made it to a small town with a lawn mower shop, where i could borrow some tools to trouble shoot and fix it. HAA!

It's a nice little bike...

From the factory, it is jetted lean. It comes with 52 low speed jet, and 140 main. Usually they benefit from switching to 58 low, and 145 main.

The stock air filter element can be burned out of the cage it is in, and a piece of oiled foam inserted, to upgrade the air filter.

Once you get the bike breathing properly, you may notice that it seems a bit undergeared, and a bit 'buzzy' at highway speeds.

This can be easily remedied by installing a 16, or 17 tooth countershaft sprocket.(stock is 15)

To install the 17 tooth sprocket, you will have to grind off the edge of a washer to make it all fit without interference...very simple task.

I took it one step further on one of my Ascots, and changed the rear sprocket also. I went from the stock 42 tooth, down to a 40. The end result is a bike that is just slightly overgeared. Perfect for normal road riding, but might not be the best setup for carving up the canyon twisties.

You might want to take a look at the starter assembly, as well. It is a known trouble spot for these bikes. As long as all the moving bits are cleaned up, and maintained once in a while it works fine. But it can be a source of headache.

Overall, it is a fun, solid little bike. I love mine. I probably put more miles on my Ascot than my XL600, and my 900F combined.

avg_joe