Sign in to follow this  

My first stupid question.

Which means there will be more. I just got an 03 XR250. It started second kick at the dealer. They told me 1st or 2nd kick every time. Now I get it home and its a pain in the a$$ to start even when warm. I admit I am an idiot when it comes to kick starting. :thumbsup: I searched the forum and I see this thing about a decompression lever. Huh? What's that and is there one on my bike?(dealer said there wasn't) Also saw something about positioning the piston at TDC. How do I do that? It also seems the choke is opposite my daughters TTR125. TTR is full choke up. On the XR its lever down. Should I be twisting the throttle or no? Can someone give me a procedure or point me to a thread? Sorry for my boneheadedness.

kick it over slowly to "feel engine" and when you feel the point of most resistance you bring the kicker back to the top and kick as hard as you can, no throttle, choke on. if it Doesnt start, repeat instructions.

heres a video i made, you can see how i find the TDC in the beginning when my foot finds the resistance as i slowly kick.

When I first got my XR I had a hard time starting it till I got the procedure down. Kicking from TDC (top dead center) is a must with these bikes.

Like the others said , lightly push down the kick starter till you feel alot of back pressure , let the kicker come back to the top and kick it good and follow threw.

This is my procedure :

Full throttle , No choke , Pull in the decompression lever and hold the kill button , kick it over about 5 times. TDC doesnt matter during this "pre charge"

Now set the choke to full , no throttle and kick it like you mean it from TDC. When it spits and starts to fire , half choke and kick it again from TDC and it should fire right up. I let it run on half choke till I get some throttle response then turn off the choke and :

:thumbsup:

Wow just talking about starting it makes me wanna go start it.

Edited by r00t4rd3d

I have a 03, it starts 2-3rd kick, but i did the jetting on it. It has a decompression lever, it is on the left side of the bars, but if you need it to start a bike this size, it is too big for ya,lol. On my bike, I slowly kick until i have the kick start just past tdc,( which is just past the hardest part in the kicking motion) then i give it one or two twists on the throttle,and with the choke on full, (all the way up) give it a hard kick. Usually fires up second or third kick, but i have to turn my choke off right away, or it will stall. Do not touch the throttle when you kick!!! But you will have to experiment, every bike likes a different way to start, seems like. But as stated before, make sure you have a new and good spark plug in there, make a big difference.

It also seems the choke is opposite my daughters TTR125. TTR is full choke up. On the XR its lever down.QUOTE]

Sorry dude, but you got it wrong. The choke on a XR250 has three positions on the lever: no choke is with the lever pointing down, half choke is in the middle, and full choke is with the lever all the way up.

Who ever invented the way the choke lever works on these carbs needs to be shot and killed. Ive seen so many people having trouble starting there new bike and all there doing wrong is putting the choke in the wrong position.

Being lever actuated like it is, it functions like it should. If on was down and off was up, we'd being hearing more problems of the choke being activated from riding rough terrain and from those that like to mx and jump their bike.

kick it over slowly to "feel engine" and when you feel the point of most resistance you bring the kicker back to the top and kick as hard as you can, no throttle, choke on. if it Doesnt start, repeat instructions.

heres a video i made, you can see how i find the TDC in the beginning when my foot finds the resistance as i slowly kick.

Perfect. Yes that was it. It started right up. I had to back the choke off immediately once it started. Thanks.

Who ever invented the way the choke lever works on these carbs needs to be shot and killed. Ive seen so many people having trouble starting there new bike and all there doing wrong is putting the choke in the wrong position.

yep. Choke in the wrong position. :thumbsup: All my previous bikes have a key, fuel injection and a nice little pushbutton. :ride:

It also seems the choke is opposite my daughters TTR125. TTR is full choke up. On the XR its lever down.QUOTE]

Sorry dude, but you got it wrong. The choke on a XR250 has three positions on the lever: no choke is with the lever pointing down, half choke is in the middle, and full choke is with the lever all the way up.

Yeah, figured that one out. Thanks.