Rode an 09 530 today(compared to my current 06 525)

So I have been lusting after the 530's as a possible next bike. My 06 525 is as solid as ever and reliable as a hammer. Friend let me take his 530 out for some trail riding today. I frankly wasnt that impressed. Maybe I was expecting to be blown away like the first time I rode my 525. It honestly felt like a powered down version of my bike. The suspension and handling all felt the exact same otherwise. He had gearing of 13/45, my gearing is 14/50 and we both have the jd jetting kit in, both bikes stock otherwise.

I didnt get a chance to open it up but in the tight stuff it was down right slow in comparison to my 525. I jumped back on my 525 and it felt like going from a goat to a t-rex. The difference in power was unbelievable. Is this because of the gearing or are the new 530's "tamer"?(note this isnt a slam at all on 530's...just trying to figure out if it was all in the gearing). Now I am wondering if I should just stay on my 525 for the next couple years and spend some good money on suspension work instead.

gearing may have been part of it 13/45 is still low i run 13/48. the 08 and up is NOT night and day either way. i speak up for mine alot because the xc4 gets bashed here and the rfs gets praised like mana from heaven.

truth be told they are so close. amazing a company could completely build a new motor and redesign a frame and still make them feel so much alike.

that said...my 08 exc has the same basic mods as my buddies 07 exc, and we both like mine better. he is thinking of selling his to his son, and buying the '10 530.

your money would probably be spent better on suspension than the new ride tho.

dbj the 02 520 suspension alone would make the 08 feel like a dream imho.

Can't believe I just read those works from the OP. At the very least, the new chasis design is 100 times better than those in RFS years. As for the motor, well I think the fact that the XC4 is smoother makes you feel almost like you could be going slower, but it's simply not the case. The RFS however is much more reliable which for most people is as if not more important than those other factors. I know Dirt Tricks out of Nevada has built a kit to slap an RFS motor into the new chasis. They also have a turn key solution where they will do all the work, you just provide the bike and motor. Personally, I think that would make one hell of a bike. I'd personally prefer the 525 RFS in an 08/09 frame.

Ok, so everyone has their own opinions, but to take a 5 min ride on a bike you've never ridden before, isn't set-up for you and say it's not as good as a bike you've ridden for years prolly isn't quite fair comparison.

Since I've raced both the 525 (07) and 530 (09) versions in the Vegas to Reno races the last few years I can tell you the 530 is way better in the LONG run! ?

...but hey there are people out there still who swear their old, CZ, or Maico or XR 650R are the best bikes ever! ...and for them (and you) that might be the case?!

However I would invite you to do more riding and testing on it, including the same set-up and mods you have on old faithful there! ...or not, sounds like your happy with your dinosaur?!? :ride:

I wasn't crazy about my 530 till I got the gearing right for me at 13/50. This aftyer already doing the jetting/desmog.

I find you can let it go down to near idle on a hill & it will chug just fine but I had to force myself to do it. It has the bottom, you just have to believe. I doubted it wouldn't stall but it can pull down in the "feel every pulse" zone just dandy. That "bang-bang-bang" zone was longer on my 520, the 530 just smooths out far sooner.

The 530 will pull on the 525 in drag race. 530 doesn't have the low end grunt of the 525 but on mid and top they run real well, very smooth.

I had a 01 520 sx and I how have a 08 530xcr-w and I agree with you on the low end grunt. The 520 had lots more.

I wasn't crazy about my 530 till I got the gearing right for me at 13/50. This aftyer already doing the jetting/desmog.

On a EXC? I like to go 100 sometimes. 14/48 mostly. 13/48 when in Idaho. Or 14/50 in Idaho.

Several times Ive watched guys disappear when it gets over 70. Same rides usually have nasty sections too.

13/50 is good for trails and anything under like 60mph. Really good for nasty nasty trails when u want to stay off clutch to avoid overheating.

13 eats chain guide.

My .02.

Oh, ya, I agree w other people who said the two bikes shouldnt be compared given the situation described.

East coast woods/mountains riding. Everyone is different but the gaps were just too far apart for me. Might have been spoiled by my TE450 close ratio box?

100 MPH sprints are for the SE anyway, and even that is geared 16/50 for these woods!!!