Sign in to follow this  

Converting 250 XCF into XCF-W?

I have an 08 250 XCF which I purchased last year. I wanted an XCF-W, but none were available at the time. I find the gearing too short for some of the riding I like to do, (everything from single-track to dual sport).

I looked into putting in a 300 and 320 big bore kit, and raising the external gearing some more. I'm currently running 14/48, (13/48 is stock for an XCF).

By going to a 320 kit, the lower half of the motor will torn apart and I have the opportunity to put in different internal gears. The gear sets to convert it from an XCF to an XCF-W are expensive, (about $800 to $850) and honestly, I don't think the expense is worth it since the cost of gears, and big bore puts it close to the cost of upgrading to a 400 XCW, (albeit with a heavier feel, and approx 20 lbs).

My question to you, is there another option I should consider to get a wider gear ratio? Since I ride single track, (my club actually maintains a single-track trail in the UP of MI) just running a taller gear set (14/44) isn't going to help at low speeds.

I would be interested to learn what other inmates have done who have been in a similar circumstance as I. I love the light weight, but running at 55 mph make the motor feel like it it going to explode!

Thanks for listening!

I have a 08 250XCFW and I would suggest to sell the 250 XCF and pick up a XCFW, for This would likely be easier and cheeper then adding the new gear set. For the added effort and expense, I would suggest pick up a left over 2009 250XCFW, as the upgraded suspension is noticeable.

I also plan to 320cc BB my 08 and I have already, modded out everything on the bikes, or I would have also considered an 09 or newer, as I had a 09 200XCW and now a 2010 250SX, which has the latest suspension and it is really smooth.

Good luck,

William

Santa Cruz, Ca

2010 250SX: Modded for off road

2008 250XCFW: Modded for aggressive off road

Thats funny because i have a xcf w and it it was not for the stupid california green sticker crap i would have bought an xcf. I just dropped mine off at HT yesterday for a 320 mod. I am hoping that with more power the gear spacing wont be so noticeable.

i actually am getting a 08 250 xcfw and not having ridden the bikes dont know the suspension but am very worried the guy im buying it from only has 1 hour on the bike and has put in "Harder shocks" you think that would help the problem the xcfw has?

You can go to a smaller rear sprocket to spread the gearing out and bolt on a 280 kit no case spliting and you will be a lot happier with the performance.

You can go to a smaller rear sprocket to spread the gearing out and bolt on a 280 kit no case spliting and you will be a lot happier with the performance.

I would tend to agree and support this. Fiddling with sprockets may get you to a happy medium for your riding. But the lower first and the taller 6th on W makes them really versatile.

It is hard to substitute close gears if wide is what you want/need for your riding. I find no issues with the spread, even at stock CC. It pulls everything just fine, it's plenty fast, and will keep up with the best of them. If I was doing a lot of high speed work then I would drop a couple on the rear or put a 14 on the front. Stock on the '07 xcfw is 13-52. I think they have a slightly taller final drive ratio than the close ratio gearbox. Them things seem to be able to run really tall gears, like 14-48 or 50.

I'm seriously considering the TR 280 kit when my piston is due, for a little more grunt.

Funny, a lot of guys really like the close gears. Guess it depends on where you ride. I test rode a KTM200 today for my kid, was an earler MXC with the close gears and that thing topped out long before what we need for desert work. First was fine for trailing; it had 14-48 gears. So we're back to looking for a EXC for him, or I'm going to buy a new 250XC-W. Screw the greensticker, will just not ride June to Aug. I love my F, but the extra poop from a smoker will be back to the old days. My kid can ride the xcf-w.

What you really need is a big bore 250 XCF-W. A 320 or better yet a 350 has no trouble at all with the wider 'W' tranny. My HTR 350 XCF-W relishes the wider ratio spreads and it is nice to have a gear for any conceivable riding situation. This bike easily pulls 6th gear running 14/44 sprockets.

Bill at HT is doing the 320 with ported head on mine. I should have it back this weekend.