Sign in to follow this  

2001 Suzuki DRZ 400

Hi all.

How does this model compare to current model?

In particular - suspension, frame, reliability, motor, handling off/on road?

I have my eyes on one and keen to learn the ins and outs.

Byte

Slight changes have been made over the years. Also depends on what model your Looking at. S/E

Hi all.

How does this model compare to current model?

In particular - suspension, frame, reliability, motor, handling off/on road?

I have my eyes on one and keen to learn the ins and outs.

Byte

Suspension is not as adjustable, I think that change was in 2003. The frame, motor, etc is the same. Colors change but it will be covered in mud most of the time I hope.... :thumbsup:

Handling is well same as stock one now but you can't adjust it. Not that big of a deal cause you will probably have to re-spring it or something anyway.

Hope it helps.

I am not sure but even with the mods and the rims that is a lot for a 2001 DRZ. I am sure some of the other guy in AU will chime in.

thanks kman.

the auction expires in 6 hours so i am keen to learn more.

what should i expect to pay for this without the mods?

Byte

It's really hard to comment on the price of second hand bikes these days. I think it's a bit of a buyers market at the moment but sellers are also holding out for a better price. With all the mods on this bike I wouldn't be surprised if the seller has the reserve over $5k. If that bike was still a standard E I say it would probably go for around $2500-$3000.

Be careful of the "broken speedo." That could have been broken for years and therefore you dont know the real mileage of the bike. Also, if you buy the bike, you'll have to get it fixed to be roadworthy for rego. If it's just the cable or the drive at the wheel, no big deal. If the speedo itself is stuffed it will cost you about a grand for a new suzuki one http://cgi.ebay.com/Suzuki-DRZ400-Speedo-Assembly_W0QQitemZ280347527596QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414603c9ac#ht_500wt_1182

You can get another speedo for WAY less from eBay UK or from Yahoo Auction Japan. l've seen them for under $100!

Just checked the ad. The reserve is $4900

thanks guys...

decisions decisions..........

What are they like offroad?

Byte

so what was the verdict?? buy it?? auction was closed by the time i read this so unable to view but with a reserve of 4900 price seems a bit high. 12 months ago i purchased another drz beacuse i wanted a spare reliable bike, picked up an 01 E in fairly stock trim, correct jetting, pivot pegs and bark busters were the only mods, 6000km. i paid 3500 which was 500 more than some others out there, but i didnt care that i paid more because this bike was very tidy and extremely well looked after and maintained like most others on this forum would do. as previoulsy mentioned, it is hard to comment on the price of a 2nd hand bike, but it is worth buying a decent one, it works out cheaper in the long run. happy hunting :thumbsup:

Edited by headbolts
typo

You can never go wrong buying a new bike with a warranty. Thats what I did, makes sense as long as you plan on keeping your bike a long time like me...

thanks guys.

i decided not to bid - knowing the final reserve price.

i thought it a touch too high but looked good.

the "broken speedo" did put me off a fair bit - especially as it is a 4t.

byte