Sign in to follow this  

throttle sticking/hard to return

My throttle was sticking when I turned the bars to the left (when setting on bike), and this was not the first time it done this on me. I messed with the adjustments of the 2 cables at the carb. That really didn't do too much, still sticking when bars are left and there is slack in it. The top cable adjustment was and is all the way screwed down in (to give it more slack). So I took it the throttle apart, cleaned it and spraied some cable lube down the cables. That made it better so it doesn't stick but the throttle is still "heavy" feeling, it not snappy like it should be. Whats wrong do you think? Could the throttle cables be worn out? Could the spring on the carb be worn out? Or what?

I check my dads 00 DR650 and his throttle snapes back like my 125 two stroke does.

Oh and why are there 2 throttle cables on 4 strokes anyway? When I had it apart it seems that one of them doesn't do anything.

1. you may need cable lube or to replace them to fix the sticking. I would also just check again for any binding ....

2. there are 2 cables because one is the "return" cable, pushes the throttle back if the spring on the carb breaks.

I had two problems with my throttle, sticking and also revving up when bars turned full chock to the right.

Do you have bar-ends? I put a new throttle tube and grips on and it didn't want to snap back smoothly. I had to trim some more of the grip off by the bar-end, it was catching slightly. I also moved it inboard on the bars a little bit.

Another thing, I have grip heaters so had to make sure there was enough slack in the wire to allow the throttle to move freely.

The bar-turn rev scenario was after I messed with the wiring bundles behind headlamp cover and I fixed that by bending the metal bracket or guide it runs through to slacken the cable.

Anyways, I got the cable issue sorted as far as I could tell and still having problems moved to the throttle tube. Might be worth trying, loosen your clamp and holding it together loosely feel the throttle while making small changes in pressure, angle, position, etc.

I put the throttle back together numerous times before I felt there was no binding and just as snappy as the day it came home from the dealer. I probably had it too loose though as I lost the top screw from the clamp. Had to ziptie it on a ride. :lol: I should do it once more and put some CA glue on the screws this time if the holes are plastic...or else loctite.

That's how I did it anyways! :thumbsup::ride:

Edited by CsHoSi

Sorry I ment it sticks when turning to the RIGHT not the left...

Probably just binding up. I would lube them if that doesn't work get a new set, they are not too expensive.

What year is your DRZ? Original cables?

YOST: I have the same problem, throttle sticks when the wheel is locked all the way to the right, ive adjusted the cables and everything, I think ill try and lube the cables

I've already lubed the heck out of the cables. Thats what helped the most, but still not right.

My bike is a 05 with 8,900 miles. I think if it gets bad again I'll try and change the cables... I'm thinking that the problem, the plastic lining may be worn thru.

my 09 with 1100km on it does this, just have to move the cables around a bit for a better feel

Two cable systems are sometimes refered to as PUSH/PULL. A single cable system pulls the carb open and relies soley on return spring tension to return the throttle. The two cable system actually has a second cable that pushes as you open the throttle, but pulls the carb wheel shut as you close the throttle as insurance if the spring should fail. If one of your cables "doesn't do anything", does that mean that it isn't moving at all? If that is the case, and it turns out to be the "PULL" cable, then that means that your "return" or "PUSH" cable is actually pushing your carb open. Add to that "heavy feeling" with a broken/frayed pull cable dragging through its casing, and you've got all kinds of throttle stiction. Just my guess. Seen it before. Good luck.

Double check your routing, if you did any electrical work and zip-tied a wire to the throttle cables too tight that can cause a little bind. My stock ones were sticking exaclty like you mention, I bought the motion-pro replacement for $40 and its like new again, snaps back better. It could also be the spring on your carb if it was thrashed on at any time.