Sign in to follow this  

Damping unit of rear shock. Help!

I was attempting to adjust the compression damping on my rear spring. I loosened the Adjusting screw(the larger of the two) on the damping unit of the rear spring a little too much and oil sprayed out. I quickly tightened the nut but oil continues to leak out. I think I tore the O-ring. Do I have to take the unit into a technician to have it properly recharged? The unit is a Wp PDS. The bike is a 07 EXC.

blzftr...yes you do need to take it to a tech. it is charged with nitrogen and requires a few specialty tools. the outer, larger, adjuster is high speed adjustment only.

dont take this personal, blzftr, but if you loosened the high speed adjuster nut that far and didnt feel the stop of the adjusting and the start of unscrewing, you may not have the technical skill yet to do a shock rebuild.

i really dont mean that to sound demeaning or condecending but it is a really precise job, i dont even do my own shock work, i can, but it is easier to pay someone else for the headaches

A bone head move on my part and it sounds like it's going to be an expensive education. Thanks for the info. It's only money...Right?

trust me...we all have done things like that, bikes are a life long learning process. and yes one of the only things that can be a bigger money pit is a boat. too bad boats and bikes are so damn fun

I don't remember for sure but I don't think your shock has the high speed adjuster on it. That is why oil came out of it. Maybe someone will confirm if the 07 EXC has the high speed adjuster.

L-v i cant speak on the 07, you could be right. i was just assuming it had one sine my 08 has it, interesting thought though, if it was the cap to the shock, that would definately be a possibility.

if it has a high speed adjuster it is usually annodized a color like red or blue. if it is just aluminum color that is NOT likely the a high speed adjuster.

Hey if it has any time on it at all it is likely ready for a fluid change anyway. If you use a good shop they may help you get it adjusted and setup better than you could have done on your own.

A correctly setup suspension will ride so much better.

That's a great point. I was trying to tweak the suspension when I encountered the problem initially.