Sign in to follow this  

Want to do an MX race for fun....

Hi all,

I want to do an mx race this spring/summer in Easton, MD. Can someone point me to a list of rules or links that provide proper bike prep? (i.e.: is safety wiring required?)

I'm assuming since I've never raced, the class will be the "C" class I'll race in? I have a YZ250, is there a class for this? I'm also turning 30 in April, hoping there is an old man's class

What are the licensing requirements? Do I have to take an accredited school?

Thanks,

If the track is a AMA track..you will need to be a member of the AMA....yes there are age groups...check to see if the track that your thinking about going to has a web site.....

No safety wiring required. And like above only an AMA card required which you can get at any local track the day of the race. Yes you will be in C class some places even have a D class. That is for real novices that can't or will not jump. I have not raced in 5 years but I think there is a 30+ class. Good luck and remember just have fun.

I want to do an mx race this spring/summer in Easton, MD. Can someone point me to a list of rules or links that provide proper bike prep? (i.e.: is safety wiring required?)

It looks like your in AMA District 7. Here's their website Click Here.

Here's the 2010 AMA MX Rulebook Click Here

And here are the D7 Supplemental Rules Click Here

I'm assuming since I've never raced, the class will be the "C" class I'll race in?

Here's a PDF with all the D7 MX classes. Click Here

What are the licensing requirements?

Like the others said you will need an AMA card Get It Here

And also a D7 membership which you can generaly get at the track.

I just did a little research, and there is some conflicting info on the classes. The track website, www.delmarvamotorsportspark.com justs lists Vet30+, while District 7 and race results from last year had Vet30+ with separate A, B, and C. Hopefully they have Vet30+C, as that's the class you want! I race it, too.

Do you ride at that track now? If you do you are good to go, as I've never seen different requirements at a track for practice and race. You should be able to sign up for AMA and District 7 right at the track. Make yourself numbers out of electrical tape if your bike doesn't have them and your good to go.

50/50 chance I'll be at that track this weekend if you have any questions.

:thumbsup: Even better, now you have a riding buddy.

This almost feels like eHarmony:devil::ride:

I just did a little research, and there is some conflicting info on the classes. The track website, www.delmarvamotorsportspark.com justs lists Vet30+, while District 7 and race results from last year had Vet30+ with separate A, B, and C.

I think the final classes are up to the tracks, they just can't run any that arn't on the D7 list. I'd call the track before you leave to make sure.

go up there for a day and ride for a couple bucks. you dont need an AMA card anything. just your bike, ID, Money, and the will to ride. Thats what I'm doing Saturday

Hi all,

I'm assuming since I've never raced, the class will be the "C" class I'll race in? I have a YZ250, is there a class for this? I'm also turning 30 in April, hoping there is an old man's class

What are the licensing requirements? Do I have to take an accredited school?

Thanks,

You should check out this cool race in 2 weeks up at Mototown USA in CT called the Stimilon Winter Warmup - super fun

The event is saturday 3/13 and all the info is on www.stimilon.com

apparently they limit entries because they want everyone to get laps and it also takes the stress off of it being a big event. They have tons of Prizes, a $2000 cash purse and even an After Party

You have a ways to go to get to the old mans class, i'm 54 and in the old mans class. Do it and have fun, i still do.

thanks ALOT guys. I am in Delaware. I must have entered my location as DC by accident when signing up. I'm ok with jumping! (C class it is then).

Now about number plates....when I used to road race motorcycles, yellow plates meant novice and white plate meant expert. Are there different plate color or number color requirements? Also, I'm assuming I get my race number on the day of the event.

Finally, are all mx races sanctioned by the AMA (meaning I'll need a membership for each one)? Like I said, Easton, MD is probably the track I will race at. We have Blue Diamond but it seems a little intimidating at the moment :thumbsup:

Thanks

I just did a little research, and there is some conflicting info on the classes. The track website, www.delmarvamotorsportspark.com justs lists Vet30+, while District 7 and race results from last year had Vet30+ with separate A, B, and C. Hopefully they have Vet30+C, as that's the class you want! I race it, too.

Do you ride at that track now? If you do you are good to go, as I've never seen different requirements at a track for practice and race. You should be able to sign up for AMA and District 7 right at the track. Make yourself numbers out of electrical tape if your bike doesn't have them and your good to go.

Brian,

That is the website I have been looking for! This is the Easton track, where I want to race! Thanks! I turn 30 in April, not there yet. Hey does the Easton track have trails? Or is it all motocross.

I am hitting the track this weekend, but was planning to go to Snakecreek in Harrington, DE. What do you think about that track?

I have a road racing background (sportbikes on short circuits), and only limited dirt experience. But I have been on a motocross track out in Illinois in 2007 on a TTR125. Was a blast. I just got a bike last week (yz250) and gear. So like I said, I am looking to hit the track Saturday or Sunday. What day are you going to be at Easton?

Thanks,

You have a ways to go to get to the old mans class, i'm 54 and in the old mans class. Do it and have fun, i still do.

:thumbsup:

thanks ALOT guys. I am in Delaware. I must have entered my location as DC by accident when signing up. I'm ok with jumping! (C class it is then).

Now about number plates....when I used to road race motorcycles, yellow plates meant novice and white plate meant expert. Are there different plate color or number color requirements? Also, I'm assuming I get my race number on the day of the event.

Finally, are all mx races sanctioned by the AMA (meaning I'll need a membership for each one)? Like I said, Easton, MD is probably the track I will race at. We have Blue Diamond but it seems a little intimidating at the moment :thumbsup:

Thanks

Brian,

That is the website I have been looking for! This is the Easton track, where I want to race! Thanks! I turn 30 in April, not there yet. Hey does the Easton track have trails? Or is it all motocross.

I am hitting the track this weekend, but was planning to go to Snakecreek in Harrington, DE.

I have a road racing background (sportbikes on short circuits), and only limited dirt experience. But I have been on a motocross track out in Illinois in 2007on a TTR125. Was a blast. I just got a bike last week (yz250) and gear. So like I said, I am looking to hit the track Saturday or Sunday. What day are you going to be at Easton?

Thanks,

I've never done roadracing, but as I understand it is much more involved than MX, which makes sense since you're going like 10x faster! Usually you pick your own number. If only doing one race you can be number X, or order up pre-printed backgrounds, which make the bike look better anyways. C is black with white numbers. Blue Diamond is also District 7, but once you get a district card you can race in any district. I race district 6 usually. I've never been to Easton; I usually go to Englishtown or Blue Diamond if the race tracks don't have a Saturday practice. Easton is pretty far from me (like 3:30) but may be the closest open track for this weekend. I'm still not 100% sure where I'll be riding at the moment.

squidkilla,

Blue diamond is not bad and you don't don't have to jump, you can roll them. Yearly member ship is around $55? and $25-$35 ish per day, they have afternoon specials for $15 till close to dark in the summer. I ride their hopefully most weekends and there are plenty of entry level riders so don't sweat it. I just back into the sport 3 years ago and still learning at 41. Let me know when you want to go and we can meet up. Real nice people their and the fast guys have to find a way to go around you, just hold your line. By the way, the riders get better the older they get. 30+ group have been riding longer than the youngsters, you are just getting started at 30. I ride with a guy at BDMX that is 51 and smokes most of the young guys. Wait till you ride with the 40+, these guys are scary! Try going a week day to start, Friday afternoons are great, not too busy and the same characters their. Plus they need another smoker on the track!

squidkilla,

Blue diamond is not bad and you don't don't have to jump, you can roll them. Yearly member ship is around $55? and $25-$35 ish per day, they have afternoon specials for $15 till close to dark in the summer. I ride their hopefully most weekends and there are plenty of entry level riders so don't sweat it. I just back into the sport 3 years ago and still learning at 41. Let me know when you want to go and we can meet up. Real nice people their and the fast guys have to find a way to go around you, just hold your line. By the way, the riders get better the older they get. 30+ group have been riding longer than the youngsters, you are just getting started at 30. I ride with a guy at BDMX that is 51 and smokes most of the young guys. Wait till you ride with the 40+, these guys are scary! Try going a week day to start, Friday afternoons are great, not too busy and the same characters their. Plus they need another smoker on the track!

Hey thanks man I appreciate that. I will let you know for sure. :thumbsup: How intense is the 30+ C class? (is there one at Blue Diamond)?

There definitely is 30+C and Blue Diamond. It's the least intense class you can find. Yeah, as 07RMZ said the Vet guys are pretty fast, although that only applies if it is only 30+(non separate A/B/C). Most of the VetC (and VetC=30+C, sorry if I'm confusing) are either guys just getting started in racing or guys that race every once in awhile just for kicks.

sweet! I'm looking forward to this. I went to sign up for my D7 membership but it is asking for AMA number. Is this required to join? I know someone said earlier you can buy the AMA membership at the track? Does D7 maintain the racer's number or do I get that from the AMA.

I'd probably just get both at the track. Just show up extra early. They can take awhile to mail the cards out, but they give you paper receipts at the track that work in the meantime. You can look at old race results to see if anyone uses the number you want. If 2 people have the same number one guy gets to put an X across his; no big deal really but could be annoying if it happens over and over.