Sign in to follow this  

Forks staying compressed

i have a 1998 cr250r, i swapped out the forks for 02 crf450r forks. i weigh 160 with gear on. now heres the problem, i recently had the seals re-done due to one of them leaking. when i roll my bike while walking next to it and grap the front brake really hard, the forks compress about an inch and stay that way till i pull up on the bars. is this normal?

No, not really. They should go back up. My guess is the clamps are torqued too tight. Refer to your manual and make sure all of the screws holding your forks in the upper and lower clamps are torqued properly and not causing the tubes to bind. A quick check would be to loosen them up and then just snug them down and try it out. If they spring back up as they are supposed to, then you have your answer. Otherwise, you may have internal issues and I am not qualified to make a guess at what might be wrong.

i checked the torque and loosened them and i still have the issue, any other ideas?

i have a 1998 cr250r, i swapped out the forks for 02 crf450r forks. i weigh 160 with gear on. now heres the problem, i recently had the seals re-done due to one of them leaking. when i roll my bike while walking next to it and grap the front brake really hard, the forks compress about an inch and stay that way till i pull up on the bars. is this normal?

Get on the bike, stand up balancing yourself with your foot on your stand and give a good push (not much leverage standing next to your bike). Do they move further and return? About 3/4" sag is normal, but it should come back most of the way. Are there any noises? A silly thought but are your clickers set right? Sounds like the rebound is closed mostly off (rebound on that fork is on the bottom). Just some thoughts.

well i turned the rebound counter clockwise to ten clicks, just to see if that was the problem and its not. and if i really push it down far then it will return most of the way. also when i take the bike off the ground the forks top out. maybe im just tripping balls idk

well i turned the rebound counter clockwise to ten clicks, just to see if that was the problem and its not. and if i really push it down far then it will return most of the way. also when i take the bike off the ground the forks top out. maybe im just tripping balls idk

10 clicks is actually not even half way (approx.22 clicks) so I would go more to see if it helps. I run the same fork on my KX250F at 13-14 clicks out. It just depends. Plus that fork is valved for a heavy 4 stroke. The valving is going to be VERY heavy.

the only reason why i didnt go further is because it says "TEN" and two arrows with an s and a h. so im assuming its only ten clicks? or is there more?

the only reason why i didnt go further is because it says "TEN" and two arrows with an s and a h. so im assuming its only ten clicks? or is there more?

Yes, there are lots more. I believe the "TEN" is the shortened version of tension, a poor translation of Japanese!! Just my guess.:banghead:I think your main problem is the heavy damping and spring rate for a 450. I hate to say it, but that fork probably wasn't the best choice for a lighter 2 stroke that has no engine braking.

Did they replace bushings too? If not it could be them sticking since usually they are damaged when hammered out OR you have the R/S fork bound up. Check it like this......

1.Install both forks and set fork height using calipers or a ruler. It is important that fork height be exactly the same for both sides. Tighten pinch bolts to the proper specs (Top: 18 Ft-Lbs | Lower: 15 Ft-Lbs).

2.Before installing axle make sure the end of it (and the edge of axle hole) has not been "mushroomed" from hitting it with a metal hammer. If theres any lip it must be ground off or fork will bind.

3.Install the axle (use rubber or plastic hammer only) and tighten the axle nut to proper spec (75 Ft-Lbs). If the axle turns while tightening, tighten one right side axle pinch bolt to hold axle in place.

4.Tighten both left side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

5.With the left side axle pinch bolts and axle nut tightened, loosen the right side axle pinch bolts. Take a small flat head screwdriver and carefully tap it into the slot between the two right side axle pinch bolts. This will enlarge the axle hole. You will then be able to grab the bottom of the right side fork tube and push it in and pull it out freely. You will be able to see the fork settle naturally into position on the axle without binding.

6.Remove the screwdriver and tighten the right side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

If you're wondering if your forks are currently bound up, put your bike on a stand and start this procedure at Step 4.

doc