Sign in to follow this  

CR500AF swap on my 02 CR250

Though I would post the build here too.. I was going to use my 03 CRF450 to do the swap but figured i could not pass up this clean 250 that is a 02 and green stickered for us Ca boys..

heres the doner 250

cr250.jpg

And the doner 500

cr500er.jpg

Got the 250 all torn down today and will yank the motor out of the 500 tomorrow evening hopefully, if not I will get it later in the week

crtear10.jpg

Keep you posted

• Like 1

I will, and for everyone else on here I am having "Old-Timer" do his magic on a extra head I have for the decompression mod.. My 500 starts rather easy but now it will really be a breeze to kick..

Both bikes look really clean so you've definitely got a good starting point for your 500AF. Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

Never thought to ask what year the 500 is?

It'd probably benefit from a boost in compression. Since you're adding a decomp, might as well mill the head.

Higher compression helps idle quality and makes the throttle more responsive...as if a 500 needs mo powah anyway.

Cool deal.

You'll have a bad ass pinger to go w/that nice thumper.

its a 96, but in reality I don't want to change a thing on this one in regards to compression.. everything about it is already perfect, Jetting, idling, power.. so if you can do the mod with out a bump in compression that how i will do it..

hopefully I will have some updated pics this week of the frame mods

Not sure what it is you are trying to accomplish? I mean you said everything was perfect on the 500 so why are swapping it out? From my understanding the frames are not really any lighter because they had to use more aluminum to get the strength up so you’re not gaining anything there. Is it just the looks your after?

The handling of the newer aluminum frame bikes is not even comparable in any way shape or form, put 1 minute of seat time on a steal frame 500 and 1 minute of seat time on a 500AF and you will know for sure.. it is not over all weight so much as it is where the weight is at and set up.. But this bike will be about 15 to 20lbs lighter over all too.. the frame is crazy lite so i don't know about the your comment about the AF frame weighing more? Maybe the 97 frame.. it is rather bulky.. I will weigh it and post up

Go here if interested in learning about them

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=2bf52506be725894d66f2498b79c4f59

here is my 03 CR125 frame after the 500AF mods, 22 1/2lbs. I still have my 94 CR500 frame, I'll see if I can get it weighed this weekend. btw my 94 steelie handled pretty well.

TTMCR5001stday010.jpg

TTMCR5001stday011.jpg

sweet, looks like Team trouble frame? My 96 handles great for what it is.. Love the bike and feel kinda bad for tearing it apart.. But I will survive.. Unless I find another motor... hmmm theres a thought, 2 500s are better than one

As well as they handle they cant hold a candle to the modern bike as far as quick turning and feel, it is so nice having that narrow feeling and look of a modern bike.

your white steelie looks too nice to wreck but what the hell. my 94 was a beater except for the powerplant so I didn't feel too bad. I have no regrets (:

yea I here you... If I can find another motor I will.. maybe keep the roller 96 and wait for a motor.. Is you 500af done?? is post some pics.. And is it a Team trouble done frame?

Hey Yota....good to see you're still hangin' around.

Love the bikes.

The af did turn out sweet.