Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Handguard question.

Has anyone attempted to fit the Fastway Version 3 F.I.T. System handguards on a DR? They have the handlebar clamp mounting system. Here is a link to them. http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22_62/products_id/491

I took these off of my WR250R that I just sold. On the DR, they hit the banjo bolt on the front master cylinder. I was looking at the Cycra's with the U-Bend clamp. Anyone have any experience with those?

Thanks

I run the Cycra Probends with the U-clamps. I ran them on the stock handlebars (7/8") and now on Pro Taper 1-1/8". I initially tried Cycra's "Solution Mount," but it interferred with the speedometer. With the U-clamps I have no clearance issues. It does come a little close to the front master cylinder's banjo bolt, but it clears by about 1/2"-5/8" (it all depends on how you personally orient your controls and tilt your handlebars). I've seen a picture of a DR-650 with Cycra's "Center Reach Mount" (CRM) and all seemed okay. I've been very happy with the Cycra Probends.

I'd post a pic, but I'm at work:banghead: until tomorrow evening.

I run the Cycra Probends with the U-clamps. I ran them on the stock handlebars (7/8") and now on Pro Taper 1-1/8". I initially tried Cycra's "Solution Mount," but it interferred with the speedometer. With the U-clamps I have no clearance issues. It does come a little close to the front master cylinder's banjo bolt, but it clears by about 1/2"-5/8" (it all depends on how you personally orient your controls and tilt your handlebars). I've seen a picture of a DR-650 with Cycra's "Center Reach Mount" (CRM) and all seemed okay. I've been very happy with the Cycra Probends.

I'd post a pic, but I'm at work:banghead: until tomorrow evening.

The work part is a rough. I feel for you. Thanks for the reply. If you could post a picture tomorrow, I would appreciate it. If not, i'll get a set on order.

Thanks

Edited by curtis515s

I am running the Acerbis Pro Rally II handguards and I love them, they are very durable. I have dumbed it a few times on them and they just bounce back. There again they do run very close to the master cylinder bolt but its no problem cause its just plastic there. I will get a pic for you later today.

Jody

The work part is a rough. I fell for you. Thanks for the reply. If you could post a picture tomorrow, I would appreciate it. If not, i'll get a set on order.

Thanks

Will do!

Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures. I will be ordering a set tomorrow morning. Is the approx. 1/2" black piece between your grip and handguard end actually your bar or a spacer to move the handguards out a little more for lever clearance? It's hard to tell in the picture.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures. I will be ordering a set tomorrow morning. Is the approx. 1/2" black piece between your grip and handguard end actually your bar or a spacer to move the handguards out a little more for lever clearance? It's hard to tell in the picture.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

Glad to help! The space between the grip and the handguard is just the handlebar. That bar is a little wider than the stock bars and I mounted my grips and controls in the same relative locations as on the stock bars (i.e. roughly the same distances from center), so there's a little overrun past the grips.

Edited by DR Da-da
type-o

Glad to help! The space between the grip and the handguard is just the handlebar. That bar is a little wider than the stock bars and I mounted my grips and controls in the same relative locations as on the stock bars (i.e. roughly the same distances from center), so there's a little overrun past the grips.

Thanks for all of the help. I installed the handguards last night and they don't fit as well as yours do. I used the 7/8" Renthal 790 bend bar. The only thing that I can think of would be that your Pro-Taper bars are about 32". The Renthal's measure 31 3/8" across. I had to cut the ball off of the clutch lever. The brake lever barely made it in stock form. It was also very close to the banjo bolt on the master cylinder. Can you measure your bar and let me know wide they are? I had the Renthal's laying around so I thought that I would try them. I will probably get a little wider and taller bar. I just bought this bike about 10 days ago and it's sucking my wallet dry. Now tonight I'm going to attempt to install a set of Race Tech .046 fork springs. This prehistoric method of putting PVC pipe should be fun. I'm used to MX bikes where you just get the proper spring rate for your weight and ability. Put them in and your done. Oh well, rode the bike on Sunday for about 50 miles and I love it.

Thanks Again.

I installed the handguards last night and they don't fit as well as yours do. I used the 7/8" Renthal 790 bend bar. The only thing that I can think of would be that your Pro-Taper bars are about 32". The Renthal's measure 31 3/8" across. I had to cut the ball off of the clutch lever. The brake lever barely made it in stock form. It was also very close to the banjo bolt on the master cylinder. Can you measure your bar and let me know wide they are?

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on which side of the economy your perspective is :thumbsup:), I'm on another overnight shift at work and the bike is sitting at home. However, on-line specs show my bars at 32". They are the Pro Taper Contour KX High bends. I did notice that with the three different bars I've fitted these handguards to (stock, Pro Taper SE KX High, and now the current Pro Tapers), the guards fit the best on the current setup. Of all of the tinkering I've done on my bike, the most frustrating work - by far - was getting the handlebars and their controls/accessories to all fit and feel compfortable. Between the different handlebars themselves, handguards, Vapor dash kit and all of its associated wiring, quick disconnect windshield for longer trips, Rox anti-vibration bar risers, and necessary clutch cable re-routing due to all of the above, I about gave up and went back to a stock setup. However, now that I have everything were I want it and it all fits nicely, I very much enjoy it all.

You might try sliding your clutch/brake perches inboard a little in order to create extra clearance for your levers' ball ends. Even on my previous stock and 7/8" Pro Taper bars I never had to trim my levers, but I did slide the perches in a bit (approx. 1/4" to 1/2").

I just bought this bike about 10 days ago and it's sucking my wallet dry.

Oh, yes . . . it's a bittersweet sickness I think most of us here have encountered!

Now tonight I'm going to attempt to install a set of Race Tech .046 fork springs. This prehistoric method of putting PVC pipe should be fun. I'm used to MX bikes where you just get the proper spring rate for your weight and ability. Put them in and your done.

Yeah, after all of my toil and $$$ spent on the DR, the dirt-only bug struck me a few months ago for some unknown reason. I'm itching for a 250F of some sort for track and trail. My last offroad-only bike was a 1990 RM-80 when I was 15, so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger for fear of getting in over my head (I've never ridden track). My lack of disposable $$$ and a herniated disc don't help the cause, either.

Good luck with the springs and bars!

Thanks again. These Renthal's will work for now. Just got the springs and will order a DJ Kit tomorrow and I have to be done for a while. (Well a couple of days at least)

Has anyone used the Emgo Proguards? Positive or negative ?

Crunched them many times on my DRZ400. Lots of impact force when you dump a heavy bike. Cyras center mount are hard to beat.