Sign in to follow this  

Electrical Questions- Regulators & Regulator/Rectifiers

I did a quick search and didn't come up with any results, rather than search each individual subforum and hopefully get lucky I figured to try posting my question. My apologies if this has been covered all over the place already.

I have a Ricky Stator 200watt Stator in my bike, and will be adding a battery to do a proper/legal dual sport job on it.

All of the Regulator/Rectifiers I see are rated from 200 watts to 240 watts for a Regulating Recifier. The AC Regulators I see are usually in the low 200 watt range as well depending who's selling them.

If I understand things correctly Regulators "burn off" unused power so the lights etc are only receiving as much power as they require. This preventing harmful amounts that overload lighting and result in problematic issues such as blowing bulbs.

A Regulating Rectifier does the same thing, but takes some of that power and "rectifies" it from AC current to DC current. The reverse of what a power inverter does. To accomplish this the Rectifier uses a little bit of the supplied power to "rectify" it so 200 watts going into it isn't quite 200 watts going out of it.

My concern is that the Regulator/Rectifiers I see offered are rated right up there with what the power output of my Stator is, without any additional to act as safety factor preventing premature burn out of the Regulator/Rectifier.

With this in mind would it be reasonable to use an AC Regulator as a primary Regulator combining both 100 watt outputs of my Stator, and then coming almost directly off the AC Regulator hooking up a Regulator/Rectifier to rectify the AC voltage to DC and then into my battery from there. The idea being to build in a certain amount of redundancy so as to not cause the Regulator/Rectifier to burn out prematurely.

Am I over thinking the situation or is the above solution:

1) reasonable

2) possible to do as explained

3) would I suffer too much line loss or whatever it'd be called to make it worth it?

Or would I just be better off to suck it up and spend an additional $50 for a second Regulator/Rectifier and carry it as a spare to swap out if the one fails?

AC regulator cost is $20 (I bought a new one when I bought my stator), a Regulator/Rectifier is $50 (Need to order one still), so it'd be cheaper to try and run a Regulator and a Regulator/Rectifier than it would be to carry a spare Regulator/Rectifier. Yes I am aware that suitably sized bridge rectifiers are $5 or less before shipping but electronics/electrical are not my strong point.

Thank you for your time, and hopefully I managed to keep this post a reasonable length. :thumbsup:

If you had asked in the XR600 forum you would have a received a bunch of answers by now. We are up on this kind of stuff there.

Anyhow you should be fine. Try to mount the regulator in a place where it gets a little airflow. That airflow is needed to cool the regulator.

Using an AC reg and a DC will work, but the DC output voltage might not be what you really need. A DC regulator is better for what you are planning. You are correct that the regulator "burns off" the excess power from the stator. The way it works is they short out the stator for part of the AC cycle when the voltage gets too high. The max load on the regulator happens when you have no load. To be easier on your regulator, run your headlight all the time. Any power going to the headlight doesn't have to be adsorbed by the regulator.

Now for reliabilities sake I run each stator coil to it's own electrical system. I have two regulators. I used to run AC on one and DC with a battery on th e other. Recently I upgraded to DC on both. Each has a headlight. That way if something goes wrong with one, the other will keep me from sudden darkness. Sudden darkness on the trail sucks big time.

Thanks guys!

I almost posted this in the XR600/650 forum but being the general question wasn't exactly model specific I wasn't sure where I'd have the best results.

I didn't know the Ricky Stator regulator/rectifier was rated at ~300watts. That there simplifies things greatly for me. Thank you for the tip on the Tympanium regulator/rectifier!

I really like redundancy, One is none and Two is one sort of thinking. I'll order up two Regulator/Rectifiers from Ricky Stator and plug one into each line coming out of the stator and then combine them into the battery.

Planning to use the battery as a buffer for the HID lighting to smooth out the power. Like using a battery on a DIY generator rather than running the power inverter directly off the alternator, use a battery to smooth things out.

Everything I'm trying to do to this bike is with making it as bulletproof and idiotproof as possible and eliminating problems before they start. I guess the cost factor kind of got me there into thinking about using what I have already. Thanks for helping to set me straight there too!

RS offers a R/R made by Tympanium rated at 25 amps( 300 watts roughly) this is the best one on the market. No reason to try and us an AC reg and a bridge rectifier. They use this one because it can handle the two outputs combined together.

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=88

Tymp_Reg_reg_200x200.jpg

Is this the same rectifier/regulator you speak of?