Stator interchange?? XL-XR-NX or CB??

Hi guys, Having both a XRL and a XRR I would like to upgrade the stator/s.

My XRL should not be all that bad but the XRR is really not made to support the lights we like, much less an HID if I go that way later.

So on physical size, which stator will fit what? Sure the wiring may need to be redone, but for more output why not! I even think I read where someone here put a CB(?) stator in his BRP and it put out 200watts!

Lots of talks about stators when I searched, but little on what really just fits vs the obvious.

The XRL's stator is around 185 to 190 watts, the XRR's stator is a measly 55 to 60 watts.

The only stator I know of that is the same as the XXR's is the XR400's.

If you want to rewind your XXR stator I think the most you could get out of it would be 300watts, I have a buddy that rewinds them, I'll ask him how many watts and what interchanges because I'm not really sure.

The 87SE goldwings came with a 500watt stator and the standard wings came with a 300watt stator. The XXR has an ignition coil that takes up some space on a few of it's poles so you lose a little there.

The two units are different"XXR and XRL" and will not interchange.

Edited by pwrpapa

You 86 XR600R stator only has five poles. The big center one is for the ignition and the other four are for lighting. It's only half a circle. You can rewind it and get about 80 watts. The 91 and on stators are full circle and have 12 poles. Two are used for the ignition leaving 10 for lighting. Honda only winds 4 of them. With all 10 you can get 200 watts. That is what I have and it works great.

As far as I know none of the other bikes like CB's, etc will fit. The XL600 stator is compatible and is full circle. The XR650L has the same 12 pole core as the 91 and on XR600's. It has a three phase winding on all 12 poles. It uses a 12 volt CDI unlike the other XR's which are all magneto style with a high voltage winding on the stator.

Captain Midnight found some high output Honda streetbike stator that dropped into his 650L, but I don't think the exact donor was ever determined.

Thats right. He thought it was from a larger street bike but wasn't sure. Said it put out GOBs of power though!

Direct bolt-in.

Only on the XR650L. That stator has no high voltage winding for the XR600R.

Now I may have to get one of those stators. 18 cores gives more possibilities than the 12 on the XR stator. All I need to do is unwind three poles and install a high voltage winding. I already have a three phase street bike regulator on my 600. I want 300 watts!

There are a few on EB for the VT now for great prices!!

Is there a year to keep in mind?

I looked at a few and they appear to be appreciably wider than the RFVC stators. Something that came to mind is whether or not one would fit in a 600's shallower flywheel.

Use a XR650L CDI and coil.

I think I'd actually strip off all the windings and rewind my own shooting for even more power and a magneto ignition. I like the idea of the magneto style ignition and the better advance curve of the 600 CDI.

...and rectifier/regulator.

I actually already have a three phase regulator on my bike. I run two independent electrical systems powered by the two lighting coils on my current stator. I used to run one DC and one AC, but I recently converted the AC to a second DC setup. I used an old Honda three phase regulator that I had instead of buying a new single phase DC reg. Saved $50.

I looked at a few and they appear to be appreciably wider than the RFVC stators. Something that came to mind is whether or not one would fit in a 600's shallower flywheel.

I saw that too. If I can find a cheap one I'm willing to test it to find out.

Right on! Captain Midnight for coming through on that stator info!

about how much are VT regulators going for?

I got a 2000 xr650r and I need more output for my street light set up. I know you can buy after market higher out put stators. Once received and installed do I need to do anything else so I don't burn or fry any ignition or any electrical stock components?

I got a 2000 xr650r and I need more output for my street light set up. I know you can buy after market higher out put stators. Once received and installed do I need to do anything else so I don't burn or fry any ignition or any electrical stock components?

These stators will not work without extensive modification on your 650R or my 600L. They are only "drop ins" for the 650L.

A "normal" 650R upgraded or rewound stator will do what you need. Yes you need a regulator that can deal with the power from the stator. Your stock AC regulator is likely not up to the task.

Found a XL stator and cover for the XRR. This should get me by unless I need alot more power and bolt right on.

Could someone recommend a good rectifier for this setup that will handle an HID?

I need a new lens for the BD setup on it anyway so why not go all the way.

Edited by FBJR

Found a XL stator and cover for the XRR. This should get me by unless I need alot more power and bolt right on.

Could someone recommend a good rectifier for this setup that will handle an HID?

I need a new lens for the BD setup on it anyway so why not go all the way.

First just to be clear. You got a XL600 stator and you are planning on installing it on your 86 XR600R.

The stator should fit right in your XR600 stator cover.

The XL stator has two lighting windings. In the XL one is used for an AC headlight and the other is used for the DC lighting system. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the lighting coil is good for about 110 watts and the other is good for 40 or so watts. The lower power coil has both wires available, but the high power coil only has one. The other wire from the lighting coil is grounded to the stator core. That's a problem.

If you don't modify the XL stator you can connect up a DC regulator/rectifier, but you have to remember that the minus out of the regulator MUST be isolated from the frame. The DC negative must be isolated from the frame for the whole system. I did this with my old 81 XR 500 and it worked fine.

The other method is to "float the ground" by modifying the stator. Basically that means removing the connection of the lighting coil to the stator core and either running a new wire or re-purposing one of the existing wires. This allows for the DC negative to be connected to the frame.

The stock stator on your XR is good for about 75 watts and that should be enough to run a HID and a taillight. One end of that coil is also connected to the stator core as described above. Even though the wattage of the XL tator is not all that much larger than the XR stator, the XL stator is better. The XL stator has more turns and makes better voltage at idle.

i took captain midnights advice and installed a stator from an '86 vt750 (v45 shadow) i believe and it dropped right in the case. it came withe the 3 longer screws needed to. the wire plug under the seat had to be swapped to make it work and being a cheap skate i decided to use the existing voltage reg since it limis voltage not current and have had no problems for many miles. seems to be easier to start now -aftermarket cam w/no comp release made it hard starting on cold morings.