Sign in to follow this  

crf450r valve shims

Recently got my cousins crf450 to do some maintenance on it for him and suspect valves are riding because its getting hard to start. A mate of mine told me that they have multiple shims instead of just the one that suits the clearance your lookin for therefore meaning u just need to remove a few to get the right clearance blah blah blah. Just wanted to know so i wont need to have the bike in pieces for more than a few hours and because the local dealer probably wont have the shims im lookin for that day and most likely will have to get parts in.

Recently got my cousins crf450 to do some maintenance on it for him and suspect valves are riding because its getting hard to start. A mate of mine told me that they have multiple shims instead of just the one that suits the clearance your lookin for therefore meaning u just need to remove a few to get the right clearance blah blah blah. Just wanted to know so i wont need to have the bike in pieces for more than a few hours and because the local dealer probably wont have the shims im lookin for that day and most likely will have to get parts in.

like the other poster mentioned, you need to check the gap and measure your old shim. If your lucky, the old shim's size is readable, but often times the number is worn off

You could always get a shim kit so your bases are covered.