hockey pads an alternative for big guys?

I started a thread over in town square but kinda hoping i'll get more views responses here! Here's a link to my other thread explaining my size problems - https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880100

As we sit here there is nothig available to fit a guy with biceps larger than 17.5 inches a neck larger than 18 and shoulder widths larger than 49. Im out of all those measurements. Im going to most likely try out some hockey shoulder pads as a roost/chest protector. They are full length and have arm protection alot like the 661/Astar pressure suits.

Quick link to what im talking about here -

http://www.hockeygiant.com/eassst16spsr.html

Now has anyone attempted to use hockey pads before? i've also looked into NFL pads but they offer no midsection protection at all and no spine protection to speak of. In the other thread some bigger dudes chimed in and said they just wear a big jersey and jeans. To me that isnt acceptable at all as i live in the pine barrons and bounce off tree's alot on pretty tight single track and 2 wide fire trails. I've so far contacted TLD/Astar/661 and all of them told me to lose weight or stop riding aggressive. Those 2 things are also not an option. So here i stand apparently alone in big guy land lol, come on TT help me brainstorm. I may be on to a new buisness venture!

• Like 1

Took a trip to the local ice rink today. Tried on 10 different types of shoulder gear, all seem to fit/move pretty well. im in an XL with a 50+ inch chest and they make a XXL for 55+ inch chests so us big guys do have an answer. I found the Bauer 0ne98 to be super comfortable and free moving. im going to try and source one in my size and do a ride, then report back!

From what i can tell, the ones i tried on today were mesh and foam. Alot like a textile mesh streetbike jacket. The joe rocket free air jacket that i wear in the summer on my streetbike feels/weighs about the same. Its not overly hot, but on another note im sure i'll be happy when i spine a tree covered in sweat and ok rather than with a shattered back or sternum. Its a give and take i would think with alittle speed these type of protectors would be ok. For strictly single track maybe not..... There not huge and bulky like hockey pads used to be i would say if the Bauer one95 set i tried on today was 2 lb's i'd be suprised. There very slim and the price seems alot better. Your getting better coverage then a chest protector and possibly almost as much as a pressure suite for about 1/3 of a pressure suite. the top of the line ONE95 was 113$ at the rink a 661 pressure suite is well into the 200's.

I've been riding with hockey pads for several years. I first started out with a unit like what you posted a link to. Great protection but it does get hot. I then cut the front and back off of it, leaving the shoulders. I then fabbed up a strapping system to afix the front and back panels of my old Thor CP to them.

I posted my results here and the idea took off. There are a couple of threads here on what people have come with since. A lot of people in that thread have removed their pictures, but I bet you could PM them.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418436&highlight=chest+protector

Now has anyone attempted to use hockey pads before?

i guess if its hot or hurt im gona take hot, i do mash aot of tree's tho being wide in the shoulders makes single track in the pines a bitch. Sometimes i wish i was a wirey skinny 190lber with a med-large frame, for sure i'd be faster! yea yea thats my excuse if i was smaller i'd be faster!!!

ssssshhhhhh dont let the park rangers in the state forest know.....i leave bulldozer tracks behind me!........ but seriously single track is skinny, skinny bars and light bikes are the fastest, along with light riders. im just not nible like a small guy, i'd like to say mass is fast but trust me physics is working against the bigger guys!. Then again if i fell less i'd kill less super endangerd pinelands tree frogs and threatened species of fly traps and pitcher pants here in the pine barrons!