Sign in to follow this  

Future of Husqvarna Design

http://www.designworksusa.com/

I couldn't help but notice that now that Husqvarna is no longer part of the Cagiva Group future Husqvarna products aren't going to have the resources of the CAGIVA Research Centre (CRC) nor chief designer Massimo Tamburi who penned the designs of the current Husqvarna bikes as well as bikes like the Ducati 916, Mito 125 MV Agusta F4 1000 and Brutale models.

That got me to thinking about Husqvarna being part of the BMW family on where or what the future design direction might be on models coming down the pike?

California based DesignworksUSA http://www.designworksusa.com which is a division of the BMW group is considered by many as the best design firm in the world today..... Knowing that what's your thoughts on where you think the product should go and look like in the future?

http://www.designworksusa.com/design/carsbikes/motorcycleconcepts/index.html

BlipBlip/Husqvarna

I don't care what color schemes they choose but they better look at Husaberg designs if they want to be be with the leaders of dirtbike evolution instead of a stoggy "old-school" design maker.

IMO, nothing has opened the door for redesign/retinking of dirtbikes more than fuel injection with it's fuel pump reqirements.

There is simply no reason to keep 2-3 gallons of fuel at 8 lbs. per, up at the top of the bike.

And so, that also opens the door for placement of other "systems".

Some folks think evolution of this nature is risky.... hogwash. If a maker lags behind this thinking... they're gonna regret it.

IMO. Dave

I hope the designs and whatnot remain on a similar track to the one they have been on for the years that Cagiva owned the company. FI is good, and so are other evolutions but I don't like pudgy bikes. It's hard not to worry that some models may gravitate towards the bmw flavor of things, especially the new 630. I don't know enough about the 630 to really scrutinize it but I know that it looks less slim and quick than the modern te610. looks are a big selling point- they have to be careful.

I hope the designs and whatnot remain on a similar track to the one they have been on for the years that Cagiva owned the company. FI is good, and so are other evolutions but I don't like pudgy bikes. It's hard not to worry that some models may gravitate towards the bmw flavor of things, especially the new 630. I don't know enough about the 630 to really scrutinize it but I know that it looks less slim and quick than the modern te610. looks are a big selling point- they have to be careful.

off topic, but your bike is named the same as my friend from an old movie: The Road Warrior thumbsup:!

Husky has tweeked a few things over the years and generally improved upon a sound product. Going forward they need to lower the seat heaght an inch, lessen weight -they are a tad top heavy, progress the new 250 engine for the 450/510's. have 5th. and 6th gears a tad higher for highway work, provide a bigger fuel capacity (down low would be nice) and finally squeeze another inch of ground clearance.

Being tall, the seat height is great for me but I agree- they should definitely lower the Center of Gravity and the seat height... a lot of consumers who I know are turned-off by the high seat.

off topic, but your bike is named the same

as my friend from an old movie: The Road Warrior thumbsup:!

I named it after the "Lord Humungus":worthy::thumbsup:

Because he was "ruler of the wasteland" and my bike is "ruler of the desert.... sort of wasteland"

your friend? You wouldn't by any chance know the man who played the Humungus in the road warrior???? :lol::ride::worthy:

I hope they maintain the stylish simplicity of the Cagiva designs and expand on that.

Cagiva has given them a great line of bikes and I hope they don't mess them up. I love my new '10 TE250.

BMW tends to head towards over-engineered and complicated platforms. Look at the G450X; seems like a great design on paper but it didn't sell too well.

i can only say for me..

for me to go back to Husqvarna, with a new bike..

reliability for a hard use for many years.. i tend to keep a bike for 10 years or more, and ride in harsh area,s pushing a bike back isnt a fun ordeal.

easy to maintain, i dont have a dealer work on my bikes, everything is done by me.

a strong kickstart system that works, as well as a good E start.

Carb is a must, Injected bikes are ok for Dual sport use. or MX tracks.

but id hate to be 20 miles back in the middle of know were with a computer that took a dump.

a basic strong and powerful motorcycle, with good lights, plateable, 6 speed trans. thats easy to work on, good suspension, thats easy to get parts for when its time to replace seals ect,and with parts easy to get at the dealer level, that i can ride for many years without pushing it back to the truck would be awesome.

customer service from the company level, with a positive additude, with so many motorcycle companys out trying for your hard earned cash, they need to go the extra mile, above and beyond.

in todays market, a companys only as good as its customer service. dont turn your back on long time customers, drop the BMW additude, it might work on the yuppy street bike rider sort, but hard core dirt bike ridders will say it with the wallet.

iv seen a lot of guys that never thought of Husky get one, only cuz they are pretty cheap as compared to other bikes, then see the same bike for sale on CL or Ebay a few months down the road,

that kind of says something.. right now you can find a 6 mos old Husky pretty darn cheap, that shouldnt be the case..

id love to see Husky get a clue, and build a bike again that would be as tough as they were back in the Swedish days..

though i keep all my older Huskys, im leaning towards the Beta,s right now.

ill be watching with high hopes, and see if Husky gets it figured out.

agree or not, thats my imput. Maybe the new owners of Husky will peek in a read some of this, and trust me, im not the only one that has the same view, im just one of the ones that still care.

Lets see,,,toughen the cranks on the DOHCers and add a wide ratio gearbox option.

& replace the rad shroud design that gets torn off in bushes, a bigger tank option,,,stronger footpegs,,,

A new 350/450 based on the 250f gear driven cam DOHC.

A Dakar version of the 630. They would rule the American Adv market with that!:thumbsup:

Y'all are all still thinking inside the box.

They need to be designing a direct injection 2 stroke. Get away from the valves, weight, and rotating mass.

The future baby!

2 smokes are dead, and not coming back.

I agree though, if they take it the way of bmw, then no one will want one. They should be at the forefront of technology with the 450/510 and let the 630 lag behind a bit and maintain the reliability and longevity that the 610 had as a dual sport rather than enduro.

Y'all are all still thinking inside the box.

They need to be designing a direct injection 2 stroke. Get away from the valves, weight, and rotating mass.

The future baby!

They be coming! :thumbsup:

Simple things first. BIG TANKS!!!!!!! This single issue is killing sales big time on the US. After that a 200 2stroke. Then a revamped 250/300 in the new frame and with a lighter motor. LOTS of people still want 2 strokes. It's the next big thing... again. Better EFI with included mapping capabilities. No BMWish tacked on cosmetic crap.

Refinement and product placement makes short term sense...

- Fix the EFI to make it better more refined like the Bregs

- Big tanks

- 200cc 2st based on the current 125

- Real wide ratio trans for the TE line

- updated 250/300

- A real adventure style bike, maybe a husky / BMW hybrid would be good. GS800 motor in a 630 frame with provisions for bags etc?

As much as i like new tech and designs a steady refinement and encompassing product line is a solid approach. I believe EFI 200 2st with a 2.7 gallon tank in a slim light design would sell like CRAZY in the states.

I believe that the injected smoker does have a future in the bike world. Time will tell.

Out of all things though- I really really hope BMW does not try to make huskies pudgy like some BMW "dual sport" bikes... And another thing is (as others said) the way BMW way over engineers everything. It irritates me.

Example: Some ideas such as the para lever rear end of the GSA 1200 are good when new but they have 5 times the necessary number of moving parts- for what? With all the u-joints and extra grommets/seals, maintenance is hell when it comes time to service things. It adds weight too. They do a lot of this kind of stuff and I will never buy a new bike if it is over engineered to that type of level.

Then there was this early design which was definitely out-of-the-box... thank god it didn't get produced, but again definitely thinking out-of-the-box.

z_368-1.jpg

I don't believe this is the direction Husqvarna is going in... just a design exercise, but you have to give them credit for trying something different.

z_850_5.jpg

And no it was definitely not bulky in any way

big_Husqvarna_SMQ_Studio_19.jpg

big_Husqvarna_SMQ_Studio_10.jpg

big_Husqvarna_SMQ_Studio_16.jpg

There was a lot of interesting design ideas incorporated in this concept.

big_Husqvarna_SMQ_Studio_15.jpg

big_Husqvarna_SMQ_Studio_13.jpg

big_Husqvarna_SMQ_Studio_11.jpg