Sign in to follow this  

Shouldn't this cylinder just slide off?

Following the manual, doing first top end. Engine's sitting on a bench.

Head's off, powervalve rod is off, 4 cylinder nuts are off.

I haven't tried to force anything, but I've got the cylinder away from the bottom end all the way around, but it doesn't seem to want to just come off.

Granted, it's only sitting there under it's own weight, and I've got a friend coming over later to help me hold the thing and do other general work, but shouldn't this thing just come right off?

When I took the head off I barely touched the piston and it slid down the cylinder with ease. It's past the powervalve too.

Any tips?

It's probly stuck on the threads,Just rock it back and forth.You may have to use a small rubber mallet to motivate it.

Use a rubber mallet to gently tap on each side in an upward angle direction. It should eventually come off. Do not use a screwdriver or anything else to try to pry it off.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bike ran well before the top end so I wasn't fearing anything too abnormal, but being that this is the first top end just wanted to make sure this was somewhat "normal."

And if you dont have a rubber mallet a short piece of 2x4 works good. The piece I use is probably about 8-10 inches long. But Im also using a 1 lb sledge to hit it with. Works good every time. If you had problems with getting the cylinder off you will probably have a little difficulty putting it back on. You will likely need to gently use your rubber mallet or 2x4 to tap it back into place. Good luck and be careful