Sign in to follow this  

starting problems

I have a 2003 XR400R and I always started it by choke, two twists of the throttle, and kicking on a compression stroke. It always started right up then one day would not start even pulling it behind my riding mower. Then I was told to try choke, full throttle with decomp and kick ten times. Release the throttle and kick on a compression stroke. Hurrah it started and ran great starting it that way for a month. Now nothing again. Can not get it to start for the life of me. I put a new plug in and the carb is getting gas. Anyone have this problem before or know what may be causing the bike not to start? The headlight is lighting up when I kick it over, but it never even tryes to start. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hows the plug look ?

Has the bike sat around not running for more then a couple weeks ?

Have you ever cleaned the carb ? Mainly the pilot circuit ?

A couple tips , after your done riding , turn the gas off at the petcock and let it run for a minute or so to clear the gas out of the carb. The ethanol they are putting in the gas nowa days is horrible for carbs and quickly breaks down the gas and clogs up the carb.

Make sure you get a inline fuel filter on your gas line.

If the bike is gonna sit for more then a week , turn the gas off and drain the bowl on the carb. It only takes a minute and will save you time in doing carb maintenance.

If you don't do as rOOt suggests, at least drain/flush the float bowl before trying to start. Just loosen the bottom plug and drain it, then open the petcock for a moment to flush it.