If you cant soak an FCR then what

I have a CRF250X that hasn't been ridden in about a year. I pulled the carb because I couldn't start it and I found it to be all gummed up. I tried to clean it the best I could but noticed it wasn't anywhere near what it should be. How can these things be completely cleaned without soaking them in some kind of cleaner? Is there anyone that can completely clean them? If I send it to ZipTy or Tokyo Mod to have their mods performed will it be completely disassembled and cleaned?

Thanks.

You cannot use carb cleaner. You can use contact cleaner or brake parts cleaners as they are safe for use with rubber and nylon.

If you completely strip the float boal, that can be soaked in carb cleaner. Just no0te carb body.

Cleaning is half of the Zip ot Tokyo does for the two bills they overcharge.

Clean it as best you can, buy a new pilot jet and try it. Be gentle.,

I would not use contact cleaner, I got a can of contact cleaner that will eat away at any plastics and rubber but maybe there is some that would be alright but I would stay clear of that.

I use gas or even diesel fuel with a soft brush. Air dry it. Any real dirty parts that can be stripped of any plastic and rubber can be soaked in heavy duty cleaner. Be very careful not to expose the throttle slide seals to any chemicals. These from what I've read are very sensitive.

• 1 year later...

My uncle has an 04 model 250x he ask me to clean the carb as he let ethanol fuel sit in it for about 6months. I cleaned the jets and fuel bowl, but seems like the accelerator pump is gummed up (like when you twist the throttle it doesn't spray like it should). Any idea how to clean that?

My uncle has an 04 model 250x he ask me to clean the carb as he let ethanol fuel sit in it for about 6months. I cleaned the jets and fuel bowl, but seems like the accelerator pump is gummed up (like when you twist the throttle it doesn't spray like it should). Any idea how to clean that?

the rubber diaphram probably lost it's elasticity and will need to be replaced.

the rubber diaphram probably lost it's elasticity and will need to be replaced.

I forgot to mention I did replace it and it does the same thing. Whats odd is the bike will run with the choke on but as soon as you turn the chock off it dies. My first thought was pilot jet is clogged, so I took the carb off clean the pilot/main, fuel bowl, replaced the diaphram with OEM honda parts. Put fresh fuel in it and it does the same thing. I'm stumped.

I forgot to mention I did replace it and it does the same thing. Whats odd is the bike will run with the choke on but as soon as you turn the chock off it dies. My first thought was pilot jet is clogged, so I took the carb off clean the pilot/main, fuel bowl, replaced the diaphram with OEM honda parts. Put fresh fuel in it and it does the same thing. I'm stumped.

somethings not right with the pilot circuit

I have a CRF250X that hasn't been ridden in about a year. I pulled the carb because I couldn't start it and I found it to be all gummed up. I tried to clean it the best I could but noticed it wasn't anywhere near what it should be. How can these things be completely cleaned without soaking them in some kind of cleaner? Is there anyone that can completely clean them? If I send it to ZipTy or Tokyo Mod to have their mods performed will it be completely disassembled and cleaned?

Thanks.

The blue crystalline structures that appear with ethanol will not come out with carb cleaner. Don't use brake cleaner - it's worse than carb cleaner in regards to eating things, and it won't clean out the gunk anyway. I've wrestled with plenty of crapped up carbs, but always got them good with carb cleaner - even if it took several days of soaking. I did have a TTR125 carb that I couldn't get all of the blue gunk out, even after soaking for three days with just about every chemical I could find. Later, a friend told me that fresh gas will dissolve the blue gunk enough that it can then be removed with a blast of aerosol carb cleaner. I haven't tried it yet, but I do have 3 bikes that have been sitting, so I'll get a chance soon.

So, take your carb apart, toss the pieces into a bucket of fresh gas, let it sit for a day or two, then take it out and blast it clean.

JayC

You can soak in a solvent over night and use contact cleaner with air. The best thing to use is find a shop with an Ultrasonic cleaner and leave it for 20-30mins and then blow things off. Just did one the other night and bought a small Utrasonic tank from Shipwreck Tools aka Harbor Freight for 60 something and it came out as good as new.

Yamaha sells a liquid carb cleaner dip that works amazingly well at removing the died fuel varnish without attacking rubber parts. We've had extremely good results with it, especially with the FCR carbs. I keep the mid-body gasket/o-ring in stock.

Some, not all, aerosol brake cleaners just plain suck and will attack rubber parts. We haven't had any luck with any of the aerosol carb cleaners. Ultrasonic cleaners have their place but aren't a miracle cure.

Yamaha sells a liquid carb cleaner dip that works amazingly well at removing the died fuel varnish without attacking rubber parts. We've had extremely good results with it, especially with the FCR carbs. I keep the mid-body gasket/o-ring in stock.

Some, not all, aerosol brake cleaners just plain suck and will attack rubber parts. We haven't had any luck with any of the aerosol carb cleaners. Ultrasonic cleaners have their place but aren't a miracle cure.

Are you referring to the o-ring on the part that your not supposed to remove because no one seems to have a replacement???????

The one in this article. http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_1012_basket_case_carb_101/photo_16.html