Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak on 2002 XR80

Noticed the little bike is leaking oil out of what appears to be where the gear shifter meets the crankcase. Will this part on bike bandit solve my woes: 9: OIL SEAL (11.6X23X10) (ARAI) 243078-001? Or perhaps something more hideous is occuring. I took a look at it and it seems the old seal is deformed and old on the top portion. Anyone else have/had a similar problem? Was it an easy fix? I will be purchasing a Clymer Manual soon. Thanks for any words that could help me.

Hmmm. . . the shaft looks straight. I took off the lever seems the actual housing on the case is cracked. Looks like a chip of it came off and the rubber seal is eroding. I don't see a long crack or anything on the crankcase just a piece of the metal surrounding the ring is missing, not awful I think the rubber gasket may be the culprit but obviously the small chunk of missing metal is not helping. I may need to take a picture so you can see what I am talking about.

probably not helping maybe you could jb weld the crack and replace the seal.

So is the rubber oil seal just placed in there via force? Don't have a manual handy and want to make sure I can just pull out the old one with the shaft still there (needle nose) and just wedge the new one in by hand over the shaft?

i would assume so but i have never had to replace mine so i dont know for sure

Get the old one out with a angled pick or something, then and a bit a grease to the new seal. Put a washer up against the seal and Get a deep socket or a little pipe to go over the shaft. Gently tap it onto place evenly. Hopefully, that will fix it.

Cool, now with the washer I am assuming that is just to get an even squeeze on the seal to make sure it is well placed? I know dumb question, just making sure you aren't saying anything about a washer permanently being there. Good advice, thank you!