New Thread- Piston Time. The good, bad, and ugly

Cylinder's off. Thanks all, was just a little paranoid.

Apparently I had good reason to be.

Not so much good, but plenty of bad:

P3010004.jpg

and ugly. The piston was cracked on the skirt!

P3010003.jpg

Always remember to follow rule #1. Used bike = new top end, period.

There was "supposed" to be a wiseco piston in the thing, but to me it looks OEM. Of course I've not seen an OEM, but the inner side looks kind of like the Mahle pistons we use in our Toyota engines where I work. Like a small grid.

I put some no fume easy-off in the power valve area (after taking it all apart) and wiped it out, then gave the cylinder the dishwasher minus dry cycle. It came out spotless. Fresh oil on all the power valve parts, reassembled. Checking ring gap now and getting it all back together.

You put the cylinder in the dishwasher? I would be sleeping with my bike because my wife would be p****d at me! Does the oven cleaner work good? I use carb cleaner, but I have to do that outside and it still needs scrubbing.

You put the cylinder in the dishwasher? I would be sleeping with my bike because my wife would be p****d at me! Does the oven cleaner work good? I use carb cleaner, but I have to do that outside and it still needs scrubbing.

Sounds like my wife too. :ride: Use the B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner. Guaranteed to melt exposed eyeballs. ?

I wiped it down before putting it in the dishwasher, so it wasn't too bad. My wife's really cool about bikes ? The dishwasher makes the thing look new! Any gunk in cracks/etc. comes out. Just pull it out before the dry cycle starts.

To say that easy-off works is the understatement of the century. Pull the powervalve assy apart, hit it with the easy off, and 5 minutes later any spooge/gunk comes out with NO EFFORT.