Sign in to follow this  

6 volt bike LED Headlight conversion?

Anyone ever seen one? Know of any? Last night I used my 3-cell Mag-Lite LED flashlight and had an acceptable headlight for riding with a single beam. This bike is all stock, but has been abused over it's life, so I'm using it as a testbed. I'll be pursuing this regardless, but thought I would ask here too. Tarzy

without know what bike you are using, its hard to say for sure. However, I have seen some automotive LED headlights, but they are large and expensive (like $600). You would also need to convert to 12v. I haven't seen anything LED for 6v, but you might be able to build your own if the individual LEDs are available.

You are right; I have been researching and the best I can come up with is to make my own. So, I'm gonna do it. The bike in question is a stock unrestored '67 Honda Trail 90. This is one I use, and I rode it in the dark the other evening using my 3-cell Mag-Lite LED flashlight. I could tell it's what I want. My other 90's can stay stock 'cause I don't ride them. When I have success, I'll post the results here. I have a couple other bikes with this in mind too.

Tarzy.................

There was another thread about this in the "dual sport/adventure" spot, I think, and someone was looking at this from the technical aspect. I was kind of waiting for some results before I do any work on a Suzuki dual sport with a 6 volt system. One detail I remember someone mentioning is that many magnetos had a split system. Half was for lighting, the other for charging the battery. (Of course, there's an ignition system involved too.) The point was that with the 6 volt regulator removed, many systems actually have enough voltage to supply a 12 volt LED headlight. I'm an electronnics technician and I was hoping to put an ocilliscope on the output windings, put some dummy loads and/or regulators on and check the OEM windings real capacity. It's possible this "split winding" can be easily re-wired to be one single winding with a higher voltage but a lower current - perfect for LED's. I will be glad to share anything I discover because so many guys need it. A problem i have now is Minnesota is not condusive to working in the garage in the winter - its no fun. I will get back to it so regardless of what progress the other guys make, I'll let TT know what I find.

What kind of wattage did the bike originally have?

I would consider making an LED headlight by using a bridge rectifier and two SSC P7's in parallel. It's sure to give way more light than the stock system and will be about as simple as a hammer with similar reliability. You would have to build the light your self though and many are not willing to do that kind of work.

I would consider making an LED headlight by using a bridge rectifier and two SSC P7's in parallel..

Explain this SCC P7's... I'm confused as to what you are referring to. I need to go from 6volt headlight to something more replacable... -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Thanks, I forgot about JCwhitney's motorcycle section. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

if your set on making your own, check out kaidomain.com or dealextreme.com. in the flashlight and DIY sections they have high output star mounted LEDs, reflectors and premade LED driver circuits with a wide voltage range. super cheap stuff. i have a small pile of this crap myself.:thumbsup:

SSC P7 is a star mounted led, they have em at those websites as well as many others

also with LEDs you will need some sort of CURRENT regulation as they are far more current sensitive that voltage sensitive

Edited by RDZombie

SSC P7 is a star mounted led.

With LEDs you will need some sort of CURRENT regulation as they are far more current sensitive that voltage sensitive

Just what I was looking for. Thanks. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

The benefits of belonging to this forum are fairly vast; what a great bunch of folks! May we all ride on forever! Thank you all! (Sorry - got a bit chocked up with all the info given)

hah, Im also getting into the electrical on my 82 xr500r its a 6 volt just want to get lights  on, ive hit a wall wondering about these rectifier will work for it?,trying to get it sorted out